CropWatch Nov. 7-14, 2014
Where have your costs increased in the last five years? This figure illustrates how much irrigated corn per-acre production costs have increased from 2009 to 2013 for a segment of Nebreaska producers involved in the Nebraska Farm Business, Inc. See more.
November 7-14, 2014
- Tightening Your Belt: Refocusing on Profitability. How did irrigated corn production costs in 2013 differ from those in 2009, when corn was selling for $4/bu? The author explores how things have changed and some red flags to watch for this year. This is the first in a series of CW articles on this topic.
- Two Perspectives on Setting a Cash Rent. While there's no silver bullet formula, the best land rental rate is fair to both landlord and tenant.
- Harvest Prices for Crop Insurance Announced. Corn: $3.49/bu; soybean: $9.65/bu.
- EPA Asks for Comments on Neonicotinoid Use on Soybeans by Dec. 22. Neonicotinoid seed treatments on field crops include Cruiser (thiamethoxam), Poncho (clothianidin), and Gaucho (imidicloprid).
- Warmer Fall Temperatures Can Favor Aphids in Winter Wheat. While rare, aphids can pop up in winter wheat in the fall and lead to disease problems in the spring.
- Soil Health Partnership Field Day Nov. 12 at Shelby. Topics to include cover crops in corn, benefits of soil health, and eastern Nebraska resources.
- Treating Gully Erosion in Crop Fields. With the intense rains this past season, some areas of the state had considerable gully erosion. See which "fixes" work best in which situations.
- Winter 2014-2015 Forecast. What are we likely to see from Mother Nature?
- Online Irrigation Cost Calculator Released. It calculates total irrigation costs for pivot systems as well as the cost to irrigate a parcel on adjoining land.
- View segments on fall soil sampling, GMO labeling, market analysis after the USDA November crop report, rebuilding the cowherd, and the weather.
- USDA Forecasts Slight Drop in Final 2014 Corn Harvest; Soybean Harvest up 13%
- Nebraska Corn Harvest 79% Complete
- Nebraska Corn Harvest Still Lagging, 60% Complete. Winter wheat condition rated 79% good to excellent with 96% of the crop emerged.
Events & Resources
- UNL and FSA Host Farm Bill Meetings (including full remaining schedule)
- UNL to Host Climate Agriculture Workshop Nov. 19. "Climate Resilient Agriculture: Tools and Resources for Agricultural Decisions" will showcase tools and focus on how to use weather and climate resources to make short- and long-term ag decisions.