Strengthening Nebraska's Agricultural Economy
Tools & Strategies for Ag Producers
According to the Nebraska Department of Agriculture, one in four jobs is related to agriculture in Nebraska. This signifies the importance of agriculture to Nebraska’s overall economy.
Current market conditions are a challenge for many agricultural producers. In response to the economic downturn, Nebraska Extension has developed an initiative focused on strengthening Nebraska’s agricultural economy.
A new series of educational materials is featured on the Nebraska Extension CropWatch and Beef websites. Nebraska Extension specialists and educators from across multiple disciplines share research-based information to help producers reduce input costs, increase efficiencies, and improve profitability of farm and livestock operations. In planning for the coming season, consider how you can incorporate the strategies that best match your cropping systems, livestock operations, and management styles into your operation.
For questions about this initiative, please contact any of the following authors:
- Cutting Costs Without Hurting Yields: Fertilizer N Rates in Corn after Alfalfa. Are you spending money on N your corn can't use.
- You Can Postpone Phosphorus, Potassium, and Sulfur Fertilizer Applications When ... University studies indicate you could save as much as $52/acre.
- Finding Win-Win Opportunities for Using Manure
- Maximizing Soil Quality Benefits from Manure
- Giving Your Farm a Financial Tune-Up. Four steps to keep your farm in good running condition.
- Preparing for Farm Loan Renewal Time. Three tips for meeting with your ag lender.
- 2017 Crop Budgets Released. How to customize these Excel® budgets to assess your operation.
- Things to Consider Before Co-Signing a Loan.
- Considering Ag Refinancing Options
- Farm Financial Management Webinars.
- Losing Your Operating Credit and Using Loan Subordination
- A Checklist for Farm/Ranch Debt Workout
- Using Herbicide Prices and Efficacy Ratings to Select for Top Value Follow these steps to select products most cost effective against the specific weed problems you face.
- Comparing Generic Versus Name Brand Pesticides. Research in Nebraska and elsewhere indicates that often generics offer similar control at lower prices.
- Improving Soybean Profitability by Managing SCN. In Nebraska trials growers realized an average six-bushel-per-acre soybean yield increase, after taking no-cost steps to manage soybean cyst nematode.
Building Strength, Resilience
- When Stressful Times Strain Your and Your Family. Finances tend to be the largest cause of conflict among family members. Check out these steps to reduce stress and resources to help you become more resilient.