Oct. 17-24, 2014
- 2014 End-of-Season Corn Yield Potential Based on Hybrid-Maize Simulations for the Corn Belt. In Nebraska 2014 dryland yield potential was well above the long-term average due to above normal rainfall and/or below-normal reference ET. Irrigated potential yields were also above average.
- Corn Stalk Nitrate Test. Use this test, along with yield and other data, to assess your nitrogen program.
- Harvest is Ideal Time to Consider On-Farm Research. Are you seeing the increased yields you wanted from new products or practices you implemented this year? Well-designed, on-farm trials can help you get reliable information to objectively value inputs, costs.
- Tips for Identifying Fall-Emerging Weeds. Properly identifying and treating weed seedlings this fall can help ensure more management options next spring. See how to distinguish common winter annuals.
- Identification of Winter Annual Weeds. Check out this new UNL Extension publication.
- Accumulated GDDs Oct. 1-23, 2014. Most numbers for central and eastern Nebraska lag behind the average. Updated 10/24
- See Oct. 3-10 CropWatch for articles from neighboring Midwest states on grain handling and storage
- UNL CropWatch Grain Storage Management. Links to resources on grain quality, drying, aeration systems, and storage, including pest management.
- Nebraska Agriculture Water Management Network Receives National USDA Honor (IANR News). Led by UNL's Suat Irmak, the network includes farmers, natural resource disstricts, crop consultants, irrigaiton districts. and USDA conservation official who are creating and implementing water-conservation strategies on roughly 1.7 million irrigated acres of farmland.
- US Bureau of Reclamation North Platte River Water Update. Water deliveries were good in 2014 and going into 2015 there should be significant carryover water.
Health & Safety
- Protect Your Health with the Right Mask for the Right Job (2013). With a wet fall, growers are reporting more molds & organic particles behind the combine. See how corn and soybean dust can affect your lungs and how the right mask can protect them in these short videos.
- View video segments, including an update on recent market movement in corn and soybeans, an ag policy update, post-harvest weed control, and the forecast for the next week. (Oct. 24)
- View video segments, including analysis of the October crop report, an update on a Republican River water appeal; beginning farmer numbers, a biodiesel update, and the forecast for the coming week. (Oct. 17)
- USDA: Harvest Continues with Soybean at 69%, Corn at 28% (10/20)
- USDA: Soybean Harvest 45% Complete; Corn at 19% (10/13)
Extension Resources & Events
- Panhandle Farm Bill Workshops Start Oct. 21. Hosted by UNL Extension and USDA FSA, with a focus on base, yield, and commodity program descriptions, sign-up, calculating farm program payments, and more.
- AgriFuture 2014 Conference Oct. 28-30 in Kearney to bring together students, producers, and agribusiness.
- Small Scale Farming Workshop Nov. 8. Ever thought about growing hops or adding a value-added enterprise to your operation?
- Cornhusker Economics Outlook Meetings Cross State in November. Catch one of these concise, fast-paced discussions of this year's crop, livestock, policy, and financial outlooks.
- New UNL Extension Crop Production and Irrigation Publications. From seeding alfalfa and identifying winter annuals to trends in western bean prices and precipitation and ET trends across Nebraska.
- EPA: Neonicotinoid Seed Treatments Offer Little or No Benefit to US Soybean Production. Public comment on the analysis to be invited.
- Farmland, a film about work and issues of farming today, is available free on Hulu for the month. The movie features six young farmers, including a corn/soybean farmer from Nebraska.