August 22, 2014
Special Focus: Wheat Planting & Production
- Winter Wheat Planting Decisions and Break-even Yields. Comparison of production economics for wheat, other crops in western Nebraska.
- Fertilizer Management for the 2015 Winter Wheat Crop. Noted: Considerable N price variation across state; this is the year to comparison shop.
- What's New in Winter Wheat Varieties? Watch for Freeman and Panhandle
- Wheat Varieties Virtual Tour Updated for 2014
- Emergent Winter Wheat and Grasshoppers. Hoppers can quickly cause loss in emerging wheat. Here's how to avoid damage.
- Determining the Seeding Rate for Your Winter Wheat. Seed size varies a lot; precise planting calls for seeds per acre rather than pounds per acre.
- Winter Wheat Seeding Date can Have Major Effects on Yield due to water use, tillering and disease/insect pressures.
- Successful Winter Wheat Seeding. Preparing seed bed and equipment to achieve optiumum stand.
- Wheat Seeding Delay? Here's How to Compensate. If circumstances force you to delay planting, take steps to protect yield opportunity.
- Weed Management in Winter Wheat. Winter annual grass weeds are best controlled in fall, shortly after emergence and before tillering.
- The Importance of Wheat Seed Treatment (8/15 CW)
- 2014 UNL Fall Seed Guide with Wheat Testing Results (External site)
- 2014 Forecasted Corn Yields Based on Hybrid Maize Model Simulations as of Aug 15. Forecast is for average to above average yields in most of the Corn Belt, however a predicted early freeze in northern areas will affect this.
- Flood, ponding damage to corn late in the growing season. (External link to article from Purdue's Chat 'n Chew Cafe.)
- Stored Grain Webinar Sept. 12. Information and integrated pest management (IPM) strategies for protecting stored grain.
- Scheduling the Last Irrigation of the Season. Corn at beginning dent still needs 5 inches to each maturity. See table of water needs by growth stages for corn and soybean.
- Nebraska Ag Climate Update for August 2014. What's history tell us about first freeze dates in Nebraska? Check out 3 scenarios.
- Farm Lease Resource: AgLease101.org, See the Document Library in this regional online resource for information on a variety of lease arrangements.
- Extension Crop Reports from Across the State (Updated 8/26)
- USDA Crop Condition Report (8/25)
- USDA Crop Condition Report (8/18)
- View segments on Raising Nebraska exhibit at the State Fair, soybean diseases, farm program decisions, and the forecast for next week.
- Tomorrow's Crop Scouts Compete — learning and winning prizes.
Field Days/Educational Events
- Precision Ag and Soil-Water In-Field Training opportunities Aug. 27, 28 at the UNL ARDC near Mead
- No-till/Cover Crop Field Day Aug. 27 in Richardson County
- Sorghum Field Days to Showcase Hybrid Performance
- Genetic Engineering: The Journey of a Gene app now on Plant and Soil Science ELibrary