Sept. 23, 2016
CropWatch Sept. 23, 2016
- Yield Forecast Center Predicts Corn Yields Well Below USDA-NASS Projections. Forecast average actual corn yields for Nebraska ranged from 78 to 192 bu/ac in rainfed corn and from 169 to 210 bu/ac in irrigated.
- Using the Corn Stalk Nitrate Test to Evaluate N Management
- Set Soybean Harvest Goal of 13% Moisture to Improve Profit. Harvesting green-stemmed soybeans can be tricky though. Here are some harvest tips.
- Soybean Variety Selection Decisions Take Time (Extension Educator Nathan Mueller in Nebraska Farmer)
Climate & Weather
- Above Normal Temps, Precipitation Forecast for Nebraska
- Nebraska State Climate Office Launches Websites. More reporting weather stations, some with hourly feeds, and new data resources offer current and historical data to help you manage your farm operation.
- Grain Engulfment - Quicksand of the Midwest. Stay safe this harvest season by following these precautions when handling grain.
- Protect Your Lungs with a Properly Fitted Respiratory Mask. Here's how.
Alfalfa & Pasture Management
- On this week's Market Journal view segments on the grain market, the La Nina outlook, Corn Residue Field Days, alfalfa's winterizing period, the National Association of State Departments of Agriculture meeting in Lincoln this week, and the forecast for next week.