September 21, 2012 - Index of Stories
CropWatch September 21, 2012 - Index of Stories
Burned rangeland near Crow Butte in the Nebraska Panhandle. As if this summer's high temperatures and lack of moisture weren't enough, wildfires left range, pastures, and fields barren and vulnerable to soil erosion. (Photo by Gary Stone) Get information on responding to this year's drought at DroughtResources.unl.edu.
September 21, 2012
- Soil Testing Critical After a Drought Year to verify actual nutrient levels. Residual nitrate levels are expected to be high in very low-yielding dryland fields due to unused N fertilizer. Levels may be higher than normal in sprinkler-irrigated fields, but lower than normal in furrow-irrigated fields. Learn why soil testing will be so important this year before you plan your fertilizer purchase.
- Nebraska Commercial Soil Testing Laboratories. Visit these lab websites to get the "nitty-gritty" on how to submit your samples.
- Grazing Corn Stalks in No-till Fields
- Cornhusker Economics: The Value of Irrigation in a Drought Regime — The Case of 2012
- See DroughtResources.unl.edu for more drought information related to crop and beef production, water availability, and home and garden.
- Root Rot Caused by Rhizoctonia Solani on Soybean. See the root cause of a yellow soybean field in southern Nebraska.
Field & Crop Reports
- Field Updates. Wheat planting underway in western Nebraska. (Updated)
- Dry Conditions to Persist in Western Corn Belt for Early Fall. Temperatures in Nebraska for the last month was as much as 5° above average while precipitation generally ranged from 2% to 50% below average.
- Soil Moisture Recharge Starts Early, but Will it be Enough? Learn how agricultural and hydrological droughts differ and the likelihood of a drought this severe occuring in 2013.
IANR & Extension Programs
- Market Journal: Unrest Overseas Could Affect Grain Exports
- Reminder: Four Ex-secretaries of Agriculture to be Featured at Sept. 28 Heuermann Lecture
- Modern Manure Management to be Featured on NET2. This October tune in to NET2 to see the high level of technology used to manage this billion-dollar "brown gold" industry.