CropWatch Oct. 3-10, 2014
Avoiding Compaction at Harvest. 10 tips to avoid compaction of wet soils and how to use controlled wheel traffic to minimize compaction.
- Harvesting, Drying, Storing Late-Maturing, High-Moisture Corn (NDSU)
- UNL Grain Storage Management Resource Links
- Quality and Handling of the 2014 Iowa Crop, updated Oct. 2. (ISU Integrated Crop Management News, external link)
- Information on Grain Drying and Storage (NDSU external link)
- Insect Management Recommendations for On Farm Stored Grain (MU external link)
- Grazing Corn Residue: A Win-Win for Crop and Cattle Producers. Two multi-year UNL studies show how cattle grazing corn stalks can provide extra income without hurting -- and sometimes improving -- yields the next year.
- How Herbicide Labels Restrict Using Cover Crops as Forage. Grazing cover crops or harvesting them for forage may not be allowed, depending on pesticides previously applied to the field. Penalties for misuse may be severe.
- Steps to Avoid Grain Bin Entrapment. Each year in Nebraska one to three people die from grain entrapment and many more put themselves in critical near-death situations. See steps to improve your safety and a video on how to install and use a lifeline harness.
- Nebraska Weather Update (10/7)
- Nebraska's Weather Outlook through Mid-October. Al Dutcher shares his forecast through mid-October and a tally of who saw how much rain this week.
- Five Myths of Ag Landlord Rights. Misunderstandings can arise between landlord and tenant over rights and responsibilities not clearly spelled out in the lease.
- Beginning Farmer Numbers Grow in Nebraska. Dave Goeller examines the number of farmers and ranchers in various age categories in Nebraska and shares insights on why the beginning farmer trend is changing.
- Ag Finance and Legal Assistance Clinics in October. Counsel from an ag law attorney and/or an ag financial counselor.
- Controlling Winter Annuals in Alfalfa this Fall. Weed control this fall can stop winter annuals before they rob valuable moisture and nutrients.
- View video segments, including discussions on UNL cover crop research, drying and storing grain, Nebraska's dairy industry, a market analysis, and forecast.
- View video segments, including analysis of USDA grain stocks report, current cattle and hog inventories, and how climate change is going to affect ag production right here in Nebraska. (Oct. 3)
- SARE Grants for Farmer Research and Youth Education. Apply now for one of these two programs supporting research and education of sustainable agricultural production in Nebraska.
- New UNL Class on Soybean Breeding for Disease Resistance. The class covers effects of oomycete disease (water molds), a group of pathogens including Phytophthora sojae. Phytophthora root rot causes the second largest yield loss behind soybean cyst nematodes.
- UNL Extension Crop Reports from Across the State (10/7)
- USDA Crop Forecast for Nebraska and U.S. If realized, this will be the highest corn yield and production on record for the United States.
- USDA NASS: Crop Progress and Condition (10/1)
- USDA NASS: Crop Progress and Condition (10/6)
- USDA NASS: Nebraska Winter Wheat Production up 78%
- USDA NASS: Sept. 1 Nebraska Grain Stocks (9/30 report)