June 8, 2012: Index of Stories
CropWatch June 8, 2012: Index of Stories
This week numerous samples submitted to the UNL Plant and Pest Diagnostic Clinic from south central and eastern Nebraska tested positive for the leaf blight phase of Goss’s bacterial wilt and blight. This early occurrence could have a severe impact on susceptible hybrids. Read more. (Photo by Kevin Korus)
Leaning corn with poorly developed roots is being reported in dry fields from western to south central Nebraska. Read more. (Photo by Brandy VanDeWallle)
June 8, 2012
- Goss's Wilt of Corn Confirmed in Multiple Locations across Nebraska. Development of the disease this early in the season on susceptible hybrids could have devastating impacts on yield if the disease continues to worsen in those fields.
- Goss's Wilt Management Trial
- Why 'Rootless' Corn is so Prevalent in Drier Areas This Year. Shallow planting and lack of rain contribute to limited root development.
- Rapid Corn Syndrome Leads to Twisted Whorls. Warm temperatures led to fast early season corn growth in some areas as well as yellow, twisted leaves.
- USDA Scientists, Colleagues Complete Most Comprehensive Genetic Analysis of Corn to Date
- Application Tips to Avoid Leaf Burn. Use of drop nozzles and other adjustments may be helpful at this point in the season.
Alfalfa & Forage Production
- Potato Leafhoppers Get an Early Start in Alfalfa. Earlier than normal, generations could be in the field for the next 4-6 weeks.
- UNL Report Details Soaring Nebraska Farmland Values. Average farmland values up 32% in 2011.
- Nebraska Corn and Wheat Conditions Slip Below Average
- Crop and Field Updates from Across the State. Dry conditions expand, slowing crop growth and causing concern
- Field Survey of South Central Nebraska Crop and Storm Damage
Extension Programs and Resources
- Wheat Program and Field Tour June 13 near Arapahoe
- High Plains Ag Lab Field Day June 21 at Sidney
- Western Nebraska Wheat Plot Tours June 18-21
- UNL IANR Offers Video Contest to Promote Agriculture and Natural Resources