January 11 25, 2013 - Index of Stories
CropWatch January 11 25, 2013 - Index of Stories
Save the Benjamins
This week's CropWatch offers several stories on farm business management, including new withholding rates, recent changes in the federal tax laws specific to ag operations, and the 2013 crop production budgets. UNL Ag Economist Bruce Johnson also reflects on farm land prices and the outlook for 2013.
January 11-25, 2013
- Land Booms, Bubbles, and Busts: Reflecting on Land Values at the Start of 2013. UNL Ag Economist Bruce Johnson looks at factors affecting ag land prices and what that could mean for producers in 2013.
- What the American Taxpayer Relief Act Means for Your Ag Operation. Topics include depreciation (Section 179 and Bonus), and income, estate, capital gains, and the alternative minimum tax as well as some upcoming deadlines.
- Payroll Tax Holiday Expired Jan. 1; Increased Rate Now Applies
- 2013 Nebraska Crop Budgets Now Available. Download Excel worksheets, customize them to your operation, and test how changes you're considering may affect your bottom line.
- See DroughtResources.unl.edu for information on crop, livestock, home, and family response to the drought.
- Sharpen Your Grower Skills at the Panhandle's Wheat Technology Conference (3 sites, Feb. 5, 6, 7)
- Consider Forages This Spring if Water is Limited. One option for managing your water resources this summer may be to more fully water one field to achieve optimal grain yields and plant another, less-irrigated field to forages.
- Deficit Irrigation Workshop Presentations Now Available Online. View these programs online to learn strategies and how to use a UNL water management tool to get the most yield possible when yield is less than optimal.
- H2Optimization: Dry Year Water Management in the Republican River Basin
- Center Pivot Irrigation Management Short Courses at 3 Sites in February
- Deficit Irrigation Workshops Planned for Sidney, Alliance, Scottsbluff. A series of no-till workshops for producers who expect to have limited irrigation water supplies this year.
USDA Crop & Research Reports
- End of Year Survey: Nebraska Corn Harvest Down 16%, Soybeans Down 21%
- Nebraska 2013 Winter Wheat Seedings Up from Last Year
- Nebraska Grain and Hay Stocks on Dec. 1 Drop from 2011 Levels
- Researchers Learn that Lady Beetle Diet Influences its Effectiveness as Biocontrol Agent
IANR & Extension Programs
- Note: Wheat Technology Conference Feb. 7 at Sidney, Canceled at Other 2 Sites
- Market Journal Looks at Importance of Selecting Corn Seed to Manage Disease Risk (Jan. 25)
- Market Journal Looks at Bullish Year-end Grain Reports and How to Improve Animal Handling (Jan. 18)
- Grandin: Livestock Industry Has Improved Handling, Needs to Tell its Story Better. (If you couldn't attend in person, you can still catch this great program online at heuermannlectures.unl.edu)
- Monthly Bioenergy Web Seminars Return in January
- WIA Conference to Focus on Communicating on the Farm
- Research Updates to Cover Results from Soybean Management Field Day Trials
- Manure Land Application Training Offered in February
- Plan Now to Attend 2013 Invasive Plant Short Course
- Reminder: Crop Production Clinics Continue Across State
- West Central Short Course on Corn Stalk Grazing and Baling
NebGuides and ECs
- Newly Released UNL Extension Publications. The UNL Weed Management Guide and seven new or revised NebGuides were released this week.