CropWatch Dec. 5, 2014
What topics in CropWatch are most helpful to your farm or agribusiness? What topics would you like to see more information on? Take our reader survey by Dec. 19 and you could win a Crop Production Clinic registration or five 2015 Weed Guides. Go to Survey
December 5, 2014
The Nebraska On-Farm Research Network is launching a new project focused on improving the efficiency of nitrogen fertilizer use. Project SENSE (Sensors for Efficient Nitrogen Use and Stewardship of the Environment) will implement 20 on-farm research sites each year over the next three years.
Richard Ferguson, UNL Extension Soil Specialist, is leading the project which will focus on crop canopy sensors to direct variable-rate, in-season nitrogen application in corn. See more on Project SENSE in the Farm Research section of CropWatch. If you're interested in participating in this or another on-farm research project, contact Laura Thompson at firstname.lastname@example.org or 402-624-8033. Read more.
- Selecting Corn Hybrids for Silage. You know what to look for when choosing corn hybrids for grain — yield, standability, maturity, and pest resistance — but what should you look for in silage? It may not be what you think.
- Dec. 5 Market Journal: Soybean Prices, Effects of Crude OIl Supply, 2015 Crop Budgets, and the Forecast for Next Week
Programs & Resources
- Nebraska Extension Seminars at Dec. 9-11 Farm Power Show. Learn more about UAVs, the farm bill, cover crops and more
- UNL and FSA are Hosting Farm Bill Meetings across the state to provide key information for program selection.
- Free Farm Finance and Legal Aid Clinics in December. Confidential meetings with an ag law attorney or ag financial counselor.
- Farm Bill Decision Tool Workshops at Alliance, Sidney, Scottsbluff starting Dec. 1. Seating limited to 10 per site so register early.
- Field Assessments to Improve Efficiency -- Workshops being held in eastern Nebraska Dec. 8-11. Calculate your fieldprint for 8 key indicators.
- Nebraska Soybean Day and Machinery Expo Dec. 18 in Wahoo. University and industry speakers and commercial exhibits.
- Postponed: Ag Financial Health Check-Ups in Bridgeport and Scottsbluff. How well are you positioned to cover liabilities in 2015? Bring your records and your questions.
- UNL Crop Production Clinics Slated for January. High impact training for ag professionals and research updates for Nebraska cropping systems and pest management strategies.