CropWatch March 13, 2015
Crop insurance projected prices, based on average futures settlement prices from February, declined again this year.
- Base Acre Reallocation (YouTube Video). Ext. Ed Tim Lemmons explains ramifications of changing base acres for this and future years and works through several examples.
- 2015 Crop Insurance Projected Prices. With lower prices, crop insurance revenue guarantees and producer premiums decrease and price volatility is affected.
- 2015 Farm Program Yield Updates — Why it's important to update your program payment yields and what to consider.
- For related information, see agecon.unl.edu/farmbill
- 2015 Winter Wheat Injury and Winterkill: Assessing damage and options for forage or crop
- Settler CL Most Popular Winter Wheat for 2015 in Nebraska, followed by TAM 111 and SY Wolf.
- Nebraska Wheat Crop Report looks at winterkill and other concerns as the wheat crop comes out of dormancy. (External link to Nebraska Wheat Board).
- Apply Now for Innovative Youth Corn Challenge. Organize a team and test a production practice to see how yield and other variables are affected. Cash prizes awarded.
- Stay Safe and Delay Prescribed Grass Burns until mid-April to May to improve stands and reduce the potential for invading weeds.
A Historical Overview of Fertilizer Use. Almost 8,000 years ago farmers recognized its value in the form of manure.
- Nebraska Hall of Agricultural Achievement Honors Johanns, 11 New Members for their service to agriculture through farming, ranching, agribusiness, government service and agricultural education.
- Market Journal's Roy Smith on Corn and Soybean Market Trends
- Market Journal Takes a Closer Look at corn seeding rates, WASDE report, ARC and PLC selection (3/13)
IANR & Nebraska Extension Programs
- Expert: Americans' Acceptance of Climate Change Increasing with Heuermann Lecturer and Climatologist Anthony Leiserowitz. If you missed the lecture, view it or previous lectures online now at http://heuermannlectures.unl.edu/this-season#leiserowitz
- Applications Available for IANR Ag Leadership Program
- Annie's Project to Empower Farm and Ranch Women in Business