July 17, 2015
CropWatch July 17, 2015
July 17, 2015
- 2015 Forecasted Corn Yields Based on July 15 Hybrid Maize Model Simulations. Based on yield forecasts made this week, there is a high (>80%) probability of near- or above-average irrigated yields at most locations in Nebraska (7 of 10 sites); however, researchers caution it is still early in the growing season and factors may change. Yield forecasts for dryland corn are also favorable. See specific yield day and long-term yields for selected sites.
- Southern Rust Confirmed in Kansas; Start Scouting in Nebraska
- Soybean Aphid Scouting and Management Recommendations. Aphids are being found in northeast Nebraska and growers are urged to be watching for building populations, depending on favorable conditions.
- Soybean Aphid Life Cycle and Natural Predators
Wheat & Oat Production
- Marestail in Oat and Wheat Fields. Uncontrolled marestail is becoming evident in some fields and will need to be addressed this fall to avoid costly infestations.
- CornSoyWater: New Free Web and Mobile App to Aid Irrigation Management. Download this handy decision-aid tool to guide irrigation timing this summer. It includes an automated soil type map.
- Reminder: CropWater Use Data is available in CropWatch ET Resources and on Water.unl.edu in the Nebraska Agricultural Water Management Network.
Alfalfa & Forage Management
IANR & UNL
- UNL Soil Scientist Gary Hergert Reflects on 40 Years of Ground Breaking Work
- Market Journal: Ag Meteorologists Look at Weekly & Summer Forecasts
- Reminder: Deadline for 2015 Youth Crop Scouting Contest July 22
- Reminder: Managing Herbicide-Resistant Palmer Amaranth Field Day Aug. 4