CropWatch September 13, 2013 - Index of Articles
Good data in means good data out -- data that can help you fine-tune your site-specific management. Get tips for calibrating sensors and adjusting your yield monitor to get quality data.
September 13, 2013
- Yield Monitor Checks Help Ensure Quality Data Collection. A well-calibrated yield monitor system should estimate total yield within a 1-3% error range, providing the information you need to fine-tune your management system. This article and the related Market Journal video offer "how-to" information you can apply now and at the start of harvest to ensure quality data.
- MJ program guest speakers analyze the markets following this week's USDA Crop report and discuss management of ear rot in corn, whether soybean nitrogen use is critical for high yields, yield monitor preparations for harvest, and the forecast for next week.
Alfalfa & Forage Production
- Planning for the Last Cutting of Alfalfa. When you take your last harvest of alfalfa affects its survival this winter and its vigor next spring. Avoid harvesting during its winterizing period to limit the risk of damage.
- Consider Early Harvest to Provide Stalks, Relieve Pastures. With no more yield potential to gain and fairly dry grain, consider harvesting corn early to get some stalks for feed and provide respite for your pastures.
Health & Safety
- Make Farming with Arthritis Easier. Learn how you can simplify chores and use assistive solutions to reduce joint stress and prevent further joint damage. Easing into the day with a morning stretch routine also can help. Try the tips in this article and follow the links to two step-by-step guides.
USDA Crop Reports for Nebraska
- Estimated Crop Production Based on Sept. 1 Conditions. The national corn harvest could be one for the record books at 13.8 billion bushels. Nebraska's share is estimated at 1.61 billion bushels, up 24% from last year.
- Soil Moisture, Conditions Hold Fairly Steady in Weekly Crop Report, with 62% of all corn rated as good-excellent and 41% of soybeans rated good to excellent.