Nov. 1, 2013 - Index of Articles
CropWatch Nov. 1, 2013 - Index of Articles
November 1, 2013
- Vilsack to Present Next Heuermann Lecture at Rural Futures Conference Nov. 5. Tom Vilsack, U.S. secretary of agriculture, will lay out his vision to create new opportunity for rural America and grow the rural economy Nov. 5 at the Heuermann Lecture in Lincoln. Attend free or view live online.
- Hybrid-Maize Adds New Features, Improves Water Stress Component. The new release of UNL's Hybrid-Maize modeling program incorporates several components to improve performance in simulating maize yields under moderate to severe water stress based on data from recent research, among other updates.
Dry Bean Production
- Panhandle Dry Bean Plots Support Cooperative, International Research Efforts. Dry bean plots near Scottsbluff are nurseries in which multiple generations of bean crosses, representing many breeding lines and market classes, are grown for numerous research projects – many of them collaborations with scientists in other states and other countries.
- Property Tax Assessment Trends and Tax Implications. In a recent Cornhusker Economics article UNL agricultural economists Bruce Johnson and Jim Jansen examine the significant increase in assessed agland valuations since 2008. They write: "The agricultural sector is not only the engine of our rural economics, but it is also the heavy lifter of local government services."
- Free Farm Finance Clinics in November. Contact the Nebraska Farm Hotline to set up a meeting with an experienced ag law attorney and financial counselor.
- USDA Seeks Input on Use of Dimethoate Insecticide. Online survey available until Dec. 31.
- Dry, Cool Conditions a Mixed Bag for Harvest. As of Monday, Nebraska corn harvest was 55% complete and soybean harvest was 94% done, according to the National Agricultural Statistics Service. Winter wheat was 94% emerged and rated at 72% good to excellent.
- Grain market analysis with Roy Smith (right)
- Winter wheat update
- Mainstreet check on midwest economy
- Effect of China's ag demand
- Weather forecast for next week
- Soybean report and water sustainability