May 23, 2014
CropWatch May 23, 2014
How well will frost-damaged corn survive? See related stories below.
May 23, 2014
- Q&A on Survival of Frost-Damaged Corn. Will dead leaf tissue wrapped around green healthy leaves hinder future corn growth?
- Should you Apply UAN and Residual Herbicides in a Tank Mix at this Time? Tips to avoid injury to already stressed plants.
- Wheat Disease Update — Fungal and Virus Diseases Levels currently low but could ramp up after weekend rainy weather.
Crop Damage & Replanting
- For information on assessing damaged corn, wheat, and soybean and determining whether replanting is warranted, see the May 16 CropWatch.
IANR & Extension
- Market Journal Examines Soybean Market Surge and new crop seedling strategies. Jenny Rees examines how freeze injured corn, soybean, and wheat plant.
- Early June No-till Expos on Soil Health. Register by Tuesday for discounted rate to hear experienced experts and producers and view soil health benefits via a soil pit.
- Crops Information Survey. What cropping systems information are you looking for now and what do you think you'll need in the future? Please take this short survey.
- Range Short Course Registration Deadline is May 27
Alfalfa & Forage Production
- Time to Scout for Clover and Alfalfa Leaf Weevils. Populations have been reported in north central Kansas and growers should be scouting for feeding damage.
- Evaluate Forage Status Memorial Day Weekend
- Extension Crop Reports and Photos. Planting of corn and soybean nears the finish line; injury from storms, freezes, and pesticide drift reported.
Climate & Weather
- Nebraska Ag Climate Update. Nebraska ag saw big temperature shifts in May and looks to June for a changing trend. Includes table of average and record weather for Memorial Day.
- Farm Bill Details and Decisions Webinar Archived and Now Available for Viewing.
- Monsanto Funds Western Corn Rootworm Research at UNL. Three teams of UNL entomologists were awarded more than $1.1 million for research and grower education.
- Biotechnology Update — RNAi as a New Technology for Pest Management