CropWatch May 2, 2014
A grower adjusts his planter while seeding his final field of sugarbeet this week in Sioux County. (Photo by Extension Educator John Thomas)
May 2, 2014
- Consider Planting Soybeans Deeper: Multiple trials support recommendation of planting 1.75 inches deep.
- Nebraska On-Farm Research Network Soybean Seeding Rate Research. Based on five years of consistent research results, the authors recommend planting 120,000 seeds/acre in 30-inch rows.
- Soybean Planting Survey. Take this quick, 6-question survey to tell us how you're planting soybeans. Are you part of the norm or a trendsetter? Find out when we share the results in an upcoming issue of CropWatch. (Of course, all results are anonymous and presented as a whole.)
- Statewide Wheat Yield Estimated at 40 bu/ac, falling below the long-term average of 45 bu/ac.
- Long-term UNL Study Examines Impacts of Cover Crops on Soil, Water. Researchers are examining how cover crops affect soil quality (health), water balance, evapotranspiration, and crop coefficients in seed corn and field corn fields.
Climate & Weather
- Plant While the Sun Shines; Storms Likely Late Next Week. Expect temperatures in the 70s and 80s through Wednesday and then watch for some possible stormy weather and rain storms.
- Introducing Ag Climate View Tool for the US Corn Belt. What is the normal monthly rainfall where I live or where my farm is? How much variability in rainfall can I expect during the growing season? These are some of the questions for which you can get local data and charts.
- El Nino Predicted, but Likely to be Weak. Despite what some have said, current weather patterns are not the result of El Nino conditions. Expect to see results from the next El Nino next fall through spring 2015.
Alternative Crop Production
- Dry Edible Pea Production Continues to Expand. Producers increase planted acres in the region and Gering processor adds equipment to enhance export opportunities.
- On this week's show:
Wheat condition nationally
Next week's weather
Plus livestock topics
- Using Herbicides in Spring-Seeded Alfalfa. There's more than one herbicide to consider.
- Five-year USDA Ag Census Released Friday. Nebraska ranks 5th nationally in crop sales and 4th in livestock sales.
IANR & Extension
- Farm Bill Questions? May 21 Extension Webinar Has the Answers.Tune into this two-hour webinar to hear from the experts and ask your own questions.
- Apply by June 15 for Next Nebraska LEAD Group. Focus on developing leadership skills contributing to the future of Nebraska and its agricultural industry.