June 29 - July 3, 2013 - Index of Articles
CropWatch June 29 - July 3, 2013 - Index of Articles
Crop specialists look at 2012 corn and soybean yields at the county level and how they fit into long-term trends. More
June 29 – July 3, 2013
- How Corn and Soybean Yields Fared in 2012 in Nebraska. While irrigated yields were the 2nd highest in the state's history, dryland yields were among the worst. The corn/soybean ratio indicates dryland soybean performed slightly better than dryland corn under drought conditions.
- Scouting for Corn Rootworm Larvae and Treating Them Postemergence. Scouting should be underway in continuous corn fields for corn rootworm larvae and damage.
- Predictor Map for Stalk Borer Scouting
- Watch for Armyworms in Eastern Nebraska.
- Wheat Disease Update. Small pockets of stripe rust appear in Panhandle wheat but not expected to become epidemic. South central wheat nears maturity with previously reported diseases continuing.
- Start Scouting for Potato Leafhoppers in Alfalfa. Adult and nymphal stages were reported in fields near Clay Center this week.
- Control of Glyphosate-Resistant Volunteer Soybeans in Corn. Growers are seeing more volunteer soybean than usual due to dry, shattered seed last fall and harvest losses.
- Controlling Cheatgrass is Part of Managing Wildfire Risk. Learn what works on July 31 eastern Wyoming tour and about other invasive weeds on July 30 Nebraska tour.
- PPDC: Goss's Bacterial Wilt and Blight in Corn, Fusarium in Soybean. See what the UNL Plant and Pest Diagnostic Clinic is seeing and where it's occurring.
- Extension Field Reports: Goss's Wilt and Sulfur Deficiency in Corn; Hail Damage Photos. Goss's wilt has been identified in Clay County, following plant damage from Memorial Day storms. Northeast Nebraska corn is growing out of sulfur-deficiency from cool, wet spring and delayed growth. Photos of Banner County hail damage in wheat and dryland corn.
- NASS: Subsoil Moisture 54% Short to Very Short with Very Dry Areas. Corn condition rated 75% good to excellent this week with soybean condition at 76%. (June 24)
- USDA NASS Crop Condition Report (July 1)
- USDA NASS: Nebraska Corn Acres Largest Since 1933. Nebraska corn growers planted 10.2 million acres, up 2% from last year. Biotechnology varieties were used on 93% of the area planted, up 2% from 2012. Soybean planted area is estimated at 4.8 million acres, down 5% from last year.
- Free Farm Finance Clinics for July. Get confidential legal and financial assistance for your farm and ranch operation.
UNL wheat breeding specialist Stephen Baenziger talks with Market Journal host Jeff Wilkerson about the 2013 wheat crop and expectations for the 2014 seed supply. Baenziger recommends buying wheat seed early as supplies are expected to be limited.