August 8-15, 2014
CropWatch August 8-15, 2014
August 8-15, 2014
- UNL Releases CornWater Irrigation Management Tool, an online, real-time tool to help you determine the best time to irrigate.
- 2014 Forecasted Corn Yields Based on Aug. 1 Hybrid-Maize Model Simulations. Predictions hold steady for most sites since July 25 forecast.
- Corn GDDs Suggest Freeze Vulnerabilities. A closer look at accumulated and predicted GDDs identifies concerns for late planted, average maturity fields.
- Do Corn Roots Grow after VT (Tasseling)? See UNL Professor Tom Hoegemeyer's response.
- Correct Timing Makes the Best Silage. Harvesting to ensure optimal moisture content can improve quality and profit.
- Silver Spotted Skipper on Soybeans. Curious to look at and can be damaging, but rarely an economic pest by itself.
- EPA Announces Label Restrictions for Lannate
- Watch For Late Season Insects on Late Planted Corn and Soybeans. Corn may have higher than normal populations of corn earworms, European corn borer, and corn rootworm beetles and can function as a trap crop for the 2015 planting.
- The Importance of Wheat Seed Treatments to avoid yield losses of both quantity and quality.
- 2014 UNL Fall Seed Guide with Wheat Testing Results Released This Week
- Experts Offer Advice for Variety of Wheat Production Issues
- Next Week: Focus on Wheat Planting/Production
- Extension Crop Report (8/15/14)
- NASS State and National Crop Report as of Aug. 1 Conditions New Story
- Extension Crop Reports from Across the State (8/8/14)
- NASS Crop Conditions: Nebraska Corn 71% Good to Excellent; Soybeans, 70% (8/11/14)
- NASS Crop Condition, Progress Report (8/4/14)
- Market Journal: Insights to the Aug. 1 Crop Report plus Scheduling Your Last Irrigation
- View segments from the August 8 Program: Analyzing the grain market, aphid and pest update, managing weed resistance, third-party beef quality audits, and the forecast for the coming week.
IANR & Extension Events
- UNL Extension Provides Precision Ag and Soil-Water In-Field Training Aug. 27 and 28 at the ARDC near Mead. Aug. 27, learn how technologies such as unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs), crop canopy sensors, soil mapping systems and spraying technology can be utilized and their value in crop production. Aug. 28, learn how to improve the physical, chemical, and biological properties of soil to increase productivity.
- Reminder: Nebraska Soybean Management Field Days Aug. 12-15 at 4 Sites. View replicated research/demonstration plots addressing timely production issues and hear presentations on how to increase soybean production profits and stay competitive in a global marketplace.
- Haskell Ag Lab Open House Aug. 13. Visit exhibits, tour the farm and celebrate Extension's 100th anniversary with some special UNL Dairy Store Centennial ice cream.
- UNL Flame Weeding Workshop Aug. 14 at Concord. Indepth presentations and infield demonstrations on flame weeding in seven major crops.
- August Field Days Focus on Switchgrass as Bioenergy Feedstock. Information on the agronomics, economics and sustainability of biomass production of switchgrass and other perennial bioenergy grasses. Register now
- State Fair's "Raising Nebraska" Highlights Food and Families Who Grow It. Plan to stop by this new State Fair exhibit designed to educate consumers about what Nebraska is doing to feed the world.
- Raising Nebraska audio segment with UNL Extension's Kathleen Lodl
- Reminder: Gudmundsen Sandhills Laboratory Open House Aug. 20. See presentations throughout the day on natural resource and cattle management.
- Reminder: West Central Crops and Water Field Day Aug. 21 near Brule to showcase irrigation practices and cropping systems that maintain or increase crop production while conserving water.