August 10, 2012: Index of Stories
CropWatch August 10, 2012: Index of Stories
D3 Drought Expands
Flame Weeding Offers Options
UNL research is leading to the development of multi-row flame weeders and the necessary tests and recommendations to support their use in the field. More
August 10, 2012
Forage & Silage Production
- Considerations for Late Summer-planted Forage Crops. With early harvests, a second crop forage may be an option if enough water is available. See tips for fall and spring forage crops.
- Double Cropping for Forage Crop Production: How Much Soil Water is Needed Before you Sow?
- Using a Microwave to Determine the Moisture Content of Forage. Step-by-step guide helps you determine moisture content of your forage before baling or making silage.
- Consider Label Restrictions for Corn and Soybean Insecticides
- Aphids Noted Damaging Summer Alfalfa. Hot, dry conditions favor the spotted alfalfa and cowpea aphids.
- Early Indicators Signal Relief Coming from Relentless Hot, Dry Conditions. Several chances for rain in the next 2 weeks.
- Combine Settings for Harvesting in a Drought. Making some adjustments can help you capture more.
- Market Journal Looks at Federal Drought Discussions
- See UNL farm, ranch, and home site at droughtresources.unl.edu
- Scout for Feeding Injury by Soybean Stem Borers. High populations may predispose fields to lodging and complicate harvest.
- Drought Stress May Make Scouting for SCN Easier.
- Flame Weeding Offers Alternative Weed Control Method.
- Reminder: Flame Weeding Workshop Aug. 15 at Concord
- Back in the News: Scouting for and Managing Potato Psyllids and Psyllid Yellows (June 13, 2011)
- USDA: Nebraska Irrigated Corn, Dry Beans Offer Hope
- Field Updates from Extension
- USDA Yield Forecast: Nebraska Corn Crop Down 13%; Similar National Drop. Soybean Crop Down 17% in Nebraska, 12% Nationally
- 2011 Nebraska Farm Production Expenditures up 10% from 2010
Extension Programs & Resources
- Reminder: Nebraska Soybean Management Field Days Aug. 14-17 at 4 Sites
- High Plains Advanced Cropping School for Sunflowers Aug. 16-17
- Dry Bean Field Tour Aug. 21 at Panhandle REC
- UNL South Central Ag Lab Field Day Aug. 22 near Clay Center
- New and Revised Crop Publications from UNL Extension
- Soybean Cyst Nematode Field Days August 27-30
- Late Season Crop Management Clinic Aug. 30 near Mead
Market Journal looks at the economics of drought and possible farm program implications