CropWatch April 5, 2013 - Index of Articles
Wheat condition varied across the state this week, but overall was rated at 49% poor to very poor. This Thayer County field was making good early season progress. More
Power of Residue
Two articles in this week's CW look at the power of crop residue in capturing and saving valuable soil moisture, as much as 5 inches. See Residue Effects in Irrigation and Conserving Soil Water with No-till.
April 5, 2013
- Results from Sugar Applications to Corn and Soybeans. With an eye toward a record-breaking soybean grower, Nebraska farmers tested a sugar application in corn and soybeans. Most of the corn trials showed improved stalk strength, a benefit at harvest.
- Corn Growers Sought for On-Farm Research Network. If you've read about a new practice you'd like to try on your farm, why not test it first using sound, replicated research practices.
- How Tillage and Crop Residue Affect Irrigation Requirements. Results from a four-year research trial at North Platte show a savings of as much as 5 inches of water per year in irrigated production systems by using no-till and maintaining residue cover.
- Conserving Soil and Water with No-till and Crop Residue. With the drought continuining and soil moisture levels still low going into planting season, consider how no-till can help you keep as much moisture as possible in your soil profile.
Alfalfa & Forage Production
- Reseeding Patchy Pasture Areas. Reclaim thin or lost pasture areas before weeds fill them in for you.
- Grass-Alfalfa Mixtures May Offer Benefits Over Pure Alfalfa. Grass-alfalfa mixtures offer benefits that may be a good fit for your operation.
- Extension Resources Explore the Growing of Annual Forages. With pasture and forage limited, more cattle producers may be planting annual forages this spring. Catch this recent webinar and several Extension publications for tips you can implement.
Mobile Apps for Ag
IANR Extension Resources & Programs
- Market Journal Looks at Western Nebraska Winter Wheat, Army Cutworms, Pre-season Irrigation
- Climate Change Workshop Offers Information for Ag, Tools to Help Mitigate its Effects
- UNL Extension Irrigation and Soils Courses Available Online. Get more indepth information to aid with your irrigation and fertilizer decisions and never leave your house. CEU credits available.
- Choosing the Best Income Tax Status for Your Cooperative.
- NASS: Subsoil Moisture "Adequate" for Just 4%. Get the latest crop condition report and view photos of current crop conditions. (Reader photos welcomed too.)