June 17, 2016
CropWatch June 17, 2016
- First Generation European Corn Borer Scouting and Treatment. Growers are noting shot-hole feeding from European corn borer larvae on non-Bt corn.
- Q & A: Nitrogen Rescue Treatments in Corn.In on-farm research in neighboring states, growers saw an average 34 bu/ac yield increase from a well-time N rescue treatment.
- Predicting Stalk Borer Development in Corn. Accumulated DDs indicated growers from across the state should be scouting for stalk borers.
- UNL Corn Yield Model Verifies as Reliable Large Scale Yield Predictor. Research conclusions on the Hybrid-Maize model forecasts followed in CropWatch in 2014 and 2015.
- Herbicide Injury and Pathogen Infection on Soybean Seedlings. In an ongoing survey for soilborne pathogens in soybeans, researchers find multiple factors affecting this Keith County field.
- UNL Awarded $20 Million NSF Grant for Partnership to Improve Crop Productivity. Research to use "a holistic strategy to study root and soil microbe interactions and to develop new biological tools to enhance crop performance."
- Forecast: Hot, Dry Conditions to Break Next Week. Earlier cool conditions may have masked soil moisture drop in a few areas.
- Plant & Pest Diagnostic Clinic Disease Report for June 1-15 for corn, soybean, wheat
Crop Condition & Progress
- Reports from Extension and USDA National Agricultural Statistics Service for Nebraska
Dry Beans & Field Peas
Water Resource Management
- New, Multi-Media Ag Water Management Guide. Describes leading types of irrigation systems, water management technologies and strategies, and the history of irrigation in Nebraska, the nation’s leading user.
IANR & Extension Events
- Market Journal this week features segments on soybean seedling diseases, crop water needs, grain market analysis, weed management field day, and more.