Husker Genetics Brand Panhandle (NE05548) is an awned, ivory-glumed semi-dwarf wheat with a short coleoptile, phenotypically; however, it is a tall wheat that possesses good yield potential and straw strength. It is moderately late in maturity, similar to Overland, and height is approximately 1 inch shorter than Goodstreak. It was developed cooperatively by the Nebraska Agricultural Experiment Station and the USDA-ARS. Panhandle was selected from the cross NE97426/NE98574 where the pedigree of NE97426 is BRIGANTINA/2*ARAPAHOE and the pedigree of NE98574 is CO850267/RAWHIDE.
- Resistant to soilborne wheat mosaic virus and stem rust
- Moderately susceptible to leaf rust and stripe rust
- Susceptible to barley yellow dwarf virus and wheat streak mosaic virus.
Contact the following certified seed growers for this variety:
- Ag Operations Group, Big Springs, 308-889-3429
- Carter Certified Seed, Chappell, 308-874-4583
- V & F Farms Co., Chappell, 308-874-2840