In Nebraska corn, barley, edible beans, millet, oats, soybeans, wheat, alfalfa and other forages are grown here and marketed organically. Other organic crops such as amaranth, popcorn, blue corn, and spelt are grown under contract for a premium.
Rotations vary by region. In western Nebraska one example of a three year rotation is wheat/millet/fallow. In the eastern part of the state an example of a four year rotation is soybeans/corn/small grain/alfalfa.
Nebraska Extension Resources
- Certification Process for Organic Production (NebGuide G2163)
- Transitioning to Organic Farming (NebGuide G2145)
- Developing an Individual Farm Organic System Plan (G2146)
- University of Nebraska–Lincoln Organic Farming Research (NebGuide G2120)
- Selecting Winter Wheat Cultivars for Organic Production (NebGuide G2206)
- Composting Manure and Other Organic Materials (NebGuide G1315)