Residue Borne Diseases
Tan spot, Cephalosporium stripe, Fusarium head blight, take-all, and others
Root, crown, and foot rots are common fungal diseases that affect overall plant health and lower yields
- Common Root Rot and Fusarium Foot Rot of Wheat *PDF version Common root rot and Fusarium foot rot are fungal diseases common in dryland winter wheat and in no-till and continuous cropping.
Diseases such as leaf rust, stripe rust, tan spot, and glume blotch can result in serious economic losses in wheat.
- Foliar Diseases of Winter Wheat: Managing Fungicide Options *PDF version This guide evaluates available management options and treatments for foliar diseases of winter wheat.
- Leaf, Stem and Stripe Rust Diseases of Wheat This guide discusses the three rust diseases of wheat to help producers make rust control decisions.
- Identification and Management of Stem Rust on Wheat and Barley This multi-state Extension publication contains excellent pictures, control measures, and a discussion of 'Ug99', a potentially devastating new race of stem rust.
- Powdery Mildew of Wheat *PDF version This guide explores how to recognize and manage powdery mildew of wheat.
Diseases Affecting the Head, Grain and Seed Quality
Diseases affecting wheat grain, such as black point, ergot, common bunt, loose smut, and scab, reduce yield, quality, or both.
- Distinguishing Between Head Disorders of Wheat. This publication provides information on how to distinguish between wheat head (spike) disorders.
- Fungal Diseases Affecting Grain and Seed Quality in Wheat. This publication discusses symptoms and management of fungal diseases affecting wheat grain.
- Loose Smut and Common Bunt of Wheat *PDF version. Planting resistant cultivars and fungicide-treated seed will help with control and management of these common fungal diseases.
- Ergot of Small Grain Cereals and Grasses and its Health Effects on Humans and Livestock. This publication provides information on this fungal disease and its consequences for humans and livestock.