The purpose of the competition is to
- Provide students an opportunity to learn crop scouting and principles of integrated pest management (IPM) for corn and soybeans in Nebraska,
- To obtain knowledge and skills that will be helpful in future careers
- Demonstrate newer crop scouting technologies.
CASH PRIZES AVAILABLE!
- First place- $500
- Second Place- $250
- Third Place- $100
Print Program Details and Registration Form!
2020 Competition is Sponsored by:
- Nebraska Independent Crop Consultant Association
FOR MORE INFORMATION, CONTACT:
Colfax County 4-H'ers won the 2019 Nebraska and Regional Competition.
The 2019 Crop Scouting Contest winners and a photo overview of the day's event.
2020 Crop Scouting Competition
For 2020, there will be the opportunity for youth to "Ask An Agronomist" questions about weeds, diseases, insects and other general scouting information to help them prepare for the competition. Here is the link to participate.
Participants can join via zoom on:
-July 22nd and learn about Weeds, Growth Staging & General Scouting Info
-July 23rd learn about insects and diseases
-Starts at 6 pm (cst) both days
Nebraska Extension is pleased to offer the 6th annual Crop Scouting Competition for Nebraska youth VIRTUALLY on July 28.
- Program for 4-H or FFA Youth who have completed 5-12th grades.
- Team coaches can be extension faculty/staff, ag teachers, agronomists, or interested community members.
Click here to register your team (limited to 10 teams)
The VIRTUAL competition consists of:
- an online team gaming feature
- field stations via zoom (corn/soybean diseases, abiotic/biotic problems, soybean/corn insects, corn/soybean growth staging, weed ID, nutrient mgmt., research, and general scouting)
Two New Opportunities For Youth This Year
Free package of study materials will be mailed to each team that registers by the deadline! When teams register, we will send one package to every team sponsor that provides an address.
Study materials will include
-Weed, Disease & insect guide
-Corn and soybean field guide
-A magnifier for your phone camera (if funding allows)
-Additional promotional items
We are also providing, "Office hours with an Agronomist". Join us for several office hours with an Agronomist. Starting soon, different Nebraska Extension agronomist/specialists will share some scouting information and answer your questions. No registration required. A link will be posted on this webpage on the day of the office hours that will direct you to a zoom meeting to participate.