The purpose of the competition is to
- Provide students an opportunity to learn crop scouting and principles of integrated pest management (IPM) for corn and soybeans in Nebraska,
- To obtain knowledge and skills that will be helpful in future careers
- Demonstrate newer crop scouting technologies.
CASH PRIZES AVAILABLE!
- First place- $500
- Second Place- $250
- Third Place- $100
Print Program Details and Registration Form!
2023 Competition is Sponsored by:
- Nebraska Independent Crop Consultant Association
- Ward Laboratories Inc.
- Nebraska Soybean Board
- UNL's Doctor of Plant Health Program
FOR MORE INFORMATION, CONTACT:
Colfax County 4-H'ers won the 2019 Nebraska and Regional Competition.
The 2019 Crop Scouting Contest winners and a photo overview of the day's event.
2023 Crop Scouting Competition
For 2023, there will be the opportunity for youth to "Ask An Agronomist" questions about weeds, diseases, insects and other general scouting information to help them prepare for the competition.
Participants can join this summer to learn about Weeds, Growth Staging, Insects, Diseases & General Scouting Info
Nebraska Extension is pleased to offer the 9th annual Crop Scouting Competition for Nebraska youth on August 2nd.
- Program for 4-H or FFA Youth who have completed 5-12th grades.
- Team coaches can be extension faculty/staff, ag teachers, agronomists, or interested community members.
Registration has closed!
Click here to register your team (limited to 10 teams)
The competition consists of:
- a team gaming quiz
- field stations via zoom (corn/soybean diseases, abiotic/biotic problems, soybean/corn insects, corn/soybean growth staging, weed ID, nutrient mgmt., research, and general scouting)
Opportunities For Youth This Year
We are providing, "Office hours with an Agronomist". Join us July 25, 2023 at 6pm for an hour with our UNL Agronomists. Nebraska Extension agronomist/specialists will share some scouting information and answer your questions. If you missed the "Ask an Agronomist" session, here is the recording.
Nebraska Extension is also pleased to announce that we will be hosting the 2023 Regional Youth Crop Scouting Competition at ENREC on September 18, 2023.