2022 Weed Management Field Day Presentations Available Online
The University of Nebraska–Lincoln Weed Management Field Day featured research and demonstrations by the Department of Agronomy and Horticulture Weed Science team and Nebraska Extension at Nebraska’s South Central Agricultural Laboratory near Clay Center on June 29.
Demonstrations included several projects for weed control in corn and soybean that included efficacy, crop safety and comparison of new herbicides and non-chemical methods for weed control. Herbicide programs and crop safety in multiple herbicide-resistant crop technologies were demonstrated.
- Amit Jhala, Department of Agronomy and Horticulture associate professor and extension weed management specialist, demonstrated projects for weed suppression with inter-seeding wheat in soybean and when to terminate wheat. He also demonstrated a project for an unbiased comparison of soybean herbicide programs for weed control and crop safety.
- Trey Stephens, agronomy master’s student, and Jenny Rees, Nebraska Extension educator, demonstrated projects about interaction of planting green and pre-emergence herbicides on weed control in soybean and corn.
- Nathan Mueller, Nebraska Extension educator, discussed a project for weed management in corn in Nebraska’s unbiased comparison trial.
- Mandeep Singh, agronomy doctoral student, demonstrated a project for control of volunteer corn in Enlist corn.
- Adam Leise, agronomy master’s student, demonstrated a project for weed control and crop safety of TriVolt, a new herbicide.
- Ramandeep Kaur, agronomy doctoral student, discussed a project what not to do when multiple herbicide-resistant soybean traits coexist.
Jhala organizes the large-scale extension field day every year to demonstrate the results of weed management research to Nebraska growers, crop consultants, Nebraska administrators, extension educators, industry representatives and graduate students. The 2022 field day was attended by 110 people.
Others contributing to the successful field day included Eastern Nebraska Research and Extension Center’s research farm manager Michael Schlick, ag research technician Irvin Schleufer, office associate Sharon Hatchel, events coordinator Connie Hansen, summer students and South Central Ag Lab staff members.
For more information about Nebraska's weed science and management, contact Jhala.