Oct. 17, 2014
- Corn Stalk Nitrate Test. Use this test, along with yield and other data, to assess your nitrogen program.
- Harvest is Ideal Time to Consider On-Farm Research. Are you seeing the increased yields you wanted from new products or practices you implemented this year? Well-designed, on-farm trials can help you get reliable information to objectively value inputs, costs.
- Tips for Identifying Fall-Emerging Weeds. Properly identifying and treating weed seedlings this fall can help ensure better management. See how to distinguish common winter annuals in this 2013 article.
- Accumulated GDDs Oct. 1-13, 2014. Most numbers for central and eastern Nebraska lag behind the average.
- See Oct. 3-10 CropWatch for articles from neighboring Midwest states on grain handling and storage
- UNL CropWatch Grain Storage Management. Links to resources on grain quality, drying, aeration systems, and storage, including pest management.
Health & Safety
- Protect Your Health with the Right Mask for the Right Job (2013). With a wet fall, growers are reporting more molds & organic particles behind the combine. See how corn and soybean dust can affect your lungs and how the right mask can protect them in these short videos.
- View video segments, including analysis of the October crop report, an update on a Republican River water appeal; beginning farmer numbers, a biodiesel update, and the forecast for the coming week.
- USDA: Harvest Continues with Soybean at 69%, Corn at 28% (10/20)
- USDA: Soybean Harvest 45% Complete; Corn at 19% (10/13)
- Panhandle Farm Bill Workshops Start Oct. 21. Hosted by UNL Extension and USDA FSA, with a focus on base, yield, and commodity program descriptions, sign-up, calculating farm program payments, and more.
- AgriFuture 2014 Conference Oct. 28-30 in Kearney to bring together students, producers, and agribusiness.
- Small Scale Farming Workshop Nov. 8. Ever thought about growing hops or adding a value-added enterprise to your operation?
- EPA: Neonicotinoid Seed Treatments Offer Little or No Benefit to US Soybean Production. Public comment on the analysis to be invited.
- Farmland, a film about work and issues of farming today, is available free on Hulu for the month. The movie features six young farmers, including a corn/soybean farmer from Nebraska.