Soil Management to Optimize Crop Production in Nebraska
- Key to Nutrient Deficiencies in Soybean
- Key to Nutrient Deficiencies in Wheat and other Small Grains
- Key to Nutrient Deficiencies in Corn and Sorghum
Plant symptoms can be used to differentiate and identify crop nutrient disorders. Symptoms of nutrient deficiency vary with variety, growing conditions, and plant age. Similar symptoms may be caused by other abiotic or biotic stresses. Use these symptom keys to help identify nutrient disorders observed in Nebraska corn and sorghum, soybean, or wheat and small grains.
For more information on these and related topics, also check the UNL Extension publication, Nutrient Management for Agronomic Crops in Nebraska, EC155, available online, or in soft cover through your local Extension office.
Soil Management Software
- Nitrogen Loss Assessment Tool (N-LAT) for Nebraska is used for corn and soybean production to estimate average nitrogen (N) loss over several years to leaching, volatilization, denitrification, and nitrous oxide emission for specific field management situations. The effects of alternative management practices can be assessed. N-LAT is not intended for short-term, in-season management decisions.
Background Information and Users Guide for N-LAT (NebGuide G2249) provides the basis and procedure for using this Excel spreadsheet.
- Uganda Fertilizer Optimizer - is intended to maximize net returns on investment in fertilizer for finance constrained crop production through optimized selection of crop-nutrient-rate combinations. It considers 15 crop-nutrient response functions including functions for maize, sorghum, rice, dry bean, peanut, and soybean. NEW
*requires Excel 2007 or later.
- Fertilizer Chooser - 8.3 MB Binary file uses Java Run Time Environment. Free download.
Manual to accompany the Fertilizer Chooser (Word file, 933KB) manual includes Installation Instructions.
- Hybrid-Maize Model - A computer program for simulating corn growth and yield
- Corn Nitrogen Recommendations Calculator
- Winter Wheat Fertilizer Calculator. Use these calculators in conjunction with Extension Circular EC 143 (PDF 889 KB, 10 pages)
- 2012 Nebraska P-Index(.xls) Instructions: Nebraska PI Documentation (*.pdf) and Troubleshooting Guide (*.pdf)
- The Value of Manure A simple calculator (*.xlsx) for calculating the value of manure. Corresponds with the NebGuide G1519: Calculating the Value of Manure for Crop Production (*.pdf)
- Whole Farm Nutrient Balance(.xls) Instructions: Estimating a Whole Farm Nutrient Balance EC189 (*.pdf )
- Nutrient Inventory (.xls) Instructions:Manure Nutrient and Land Requirement Estimator EC190(*.pdf)
Soil Management Navigation
Key to Nutrient Deficiency in Corn and Sorghum
Key to Nutrient Deficiency in Wheat
Key to Nutrient Deficiency in Soybean
Research and Extension Projects
Soil Management Software
Recommendations & Resources
See Soil Management under specific crops for further information.
Calculate fertilizer recommendations for all crops produced in Nebraska:
- Directly enter crop and soil test information, or,
- Upload files with test information from analytical laboratories.