Articles of Interest
Irrigated Corn Achieves High Yields with High Energy Efficiency, Little Impact on Environment - Jan. 2012 CropWatch Article
Also check out: Hybrid Maize Model-a computer program that simulates the growth of a corn crop (Zea mays L.) under non-limiting or water-limited (rainfed or irrigated) conditions based on daily weather data.
Check out the completely redone Corn Growth and Development publication from Iowa State University Extension! Updated information for today's hybrids and excellent graphics.
How Extended High Heat Disrupts Corn Pollination - Aug. 2011 CropWatch Article. Dr. Tom Hoegemeyer explains the conditions that affect pollen shed and viability in corn during high heat and high relative humidity.
Corn Nitrogen Recommendations Calculator - Excel sheet to determine recommended UNL nitrogen rates from soil tests.
- Most Comprehensive Genetic Analysis of Corn to Date
- Surviving High Costs of Input Crop Production
- Corn Supply and Utilization in the United States, 2000-2004 (*PDF 1.27 MB; 79 pages) The supply and utilization of corn in the U.S. at the state level was estimated taking into account animal feeding, food, industrial and seed use, stock holding and exports. Net surplus and deficit state-level data were summarized. Also included were foreign country imports and exports.
- An Economic Overview of Ethanol Co-product Utilization in Nebraska (EC858)
- 2009 Corn Production by County and Location of Ethanol Plants in Nebraska Source-NASS 2010
*PDF document requires Acrobat Reader. Download free from Adobe Web site
Questions/Comments about the CropWatch Corn site? Please contact Jenny Rees, UNL Extension Educator in Clay County.
2014 CropWatch Articles
- How Did 2013 Corn Yields Fare in Nebraska? UNL researcher compares actual yields with one-year and multi-year yields simulated by Hybrid-Maize for 9 sites across Nebraska.
- With Tight Margins Expected, It's Time to Tighten up Your Belt (Again). See how farm costs have increased since 2005 and learn what you can do now to control your costs for 2014.
- 2014 Crop Budgets Reflect Changes in Input, Land, Machinery Prices. The 2014 Nebraska Crop Budgets have been expanded from previous editions and are now available in both a printer-friendly PDF format and in customizable Excel spreadsheets.
- NDA Reminder on Use of Herbicides with Both Atrazine and Acetochlor. Any herbicide containing both acetochlor and atrazine must follow the stricter atrazine setback restrictions.
- Dicamba-Resistant Kochia Confirmed in Nebraska. UNL researchers conducting dicamba response trials found resistance at a surprisingly high level in at least one population. What can you do to manage resistance development?
- Feb. 20 Webinar: Corn Rootworm Management in the Transgenic Era. Learn about the biology and behavior of rootworms and current management options during this free webinar.
Corn is an economically important crop to Nebraska resulting in $9.1 billion from 9.1 million acres harvested in 2012 according to USDA National Agricultural Statistics Service.
- Nebraska ranks 3rd in U.S. corn production.
- Nebraska ranks 1st in U.S. popcorn production.
- Nebraska ranks 1st in U.S. white corn production.
- Nebraska ranks 2nd in ethanol production capacity.