Market Journal: Identifying Genetic Problems in Cattle
May 29, 2009On this week's Market Journal Extension Geneticist Matt Spangler discusses why beef producers should be using DNA tests to identify carriers of genetic attributes in cattle. There is increasing concern about genetic defects in cattle, Spangler says.
Other segments on this week's program include:
- Beef Market, with Mike Briggs, Briggs Feedlot, Seward;
- New Environmental Markets for Agriculture, with Noel Gollehon, NRCS-USDA;
- Time to Look for Fusarium Head Blight in Wheat with Stephen Wegulo, Extension plant pathologist; and
- Ag Weather Update, with Al Dutcher, Nebraska state climatologist.
On the next Market Journal on June 5 Nebraska's rural economy will be in focus. Weaker farm markets, particularly in the livestock sector, reductions in rural manufacturing, and a weak national economy continue to impact the rural economy. Speakers will discuss economic trends, the status of the recession recovery, and how farmers should plan for the economic changes.
- NET1 - Saturday, 7 a.m. CT
- NET2 - Sunday, 9 a.m. CT
Dish Network, Channel 9411
- Friday, 12:30 p.m. CT
- Sunday, 9:30 p.m. CT
- Wednesday, 8:30 a.m. CT