Market Journal Examines Economic Factors of the Drought - UNL CropWatch, Aug. 10, 2012
August 10, 2012
On this week's Market Journal UNL Extension Public Policy Specialist Brad Lubben talks with MJ host Jeff Wilkerson about what lawmakers may do with the farm bill when they return from break. He'll also discuss the disaster assistance proposal before the House. View the full episode from this week's Market Journal on YouTube at or catch selected segments here.
Also on this week's show:
- Financial Impact from Drought — Mike Hechtner, secretary/treasurer of CoBank in Omaha, talks about how lenders could be impacted by drought conditions.
- Cattle Markets — Mike Briggs, a feedlot owner from Seward,discusses corn prices, cattle supply issues, and whether the market has reached its low.
- China’s Agricultural Demand — Eric Trachtenberg, director, Food and Agriculture Sector, McLarty Associates, says China needs imports to meet its food demands. Eric talks about areas for growth in the Chinese market and relationships between the U.S. and China in certain commodities.
- Market Journal Photo Contest — MJ Producer Kurtis Harms shows viewers how they can use the new Market Journal mobile app to enter for a chance to win an iPad.
- Weather Outlook — UNL Extension Climatologist Al Dutcher discusses the forecast for the upcoming week.
View this week's program, as well as previous programs, online at marketjournal.unl.edu and watch for future broadcasts on these networks.
- NET1 – Saturday, 7 a.m. CT
- NET2 – Sunday, 9 a.m. CT
- Podcast on iTunes