Landlord/Tenant Lease Workshops Scheduled
Jan. 27, 2015
Nebraska Extension will be hosting Landlord/Tenant Cash Lease Workshops this February-March to help landlords and tenants put together a lease that is right for both parties and helps maintain positive farm leasing relations.
Landlord/Tenant Cash Lease Schedule
Feb. 4, 9:30 a.m. — Grand Island, Hall County Extension Office, 308-385-5088
Feb. 6, 9:30 a.m. — Blue Hill, Community Center, 402-746-3417
Feb. 9, 1 p.m. — Pierce, location TBD, 402-329-4821
Feb. 11, 1 p.m. — Hartington, Courthouse Annex Basement, 402-254-6821
Feb. 12, 1 p.m. — Center, Extension Office Classroom, 402-288-5611
Feb. 13, 9:30 a.m. — Lincoln, Lancaster County Extension Office, 402-441-7180
Feb. 17, 1 p.m. — Norfolk, Northeast Community College, Life Long Learning Center, 402-370-4040
Feb. 17, 6:30 p.m. — Omaha, Douglas County Extension Office, 402-444-7804
Feb. 19, 9:30 a.m. — Clay Center, Fairgrounds, 402-762-3644
Feb. 25, 1 p.m. — Neligh, Fairgrounds, 402-887-5414
Mar. 5, 9:30 a.m. — Auburn, 4-H Building, Fairgrounds, 402-274-4755
Mar. 10, 9:30 a.m. — Albion, Casey's Building, Fairgrounds, 402-395-2158
Topics will include:
- Latest information about land values and cash rental rates for the area and state.
- Expectations from the lease, including goal setting for the rental property.
- Lease termination, including terminating handshake or verbal leases.
- Lease communication, determining appropriate information sharing for both the tenant and landlord.
- Alternative cash lease arrangements, flexible provision considerations for your situation.
- Other topics, like irrigation systems, hay rent, pasture rental agreements, and grain bin rental will be covered as time allows.
Extension Educators Allan Vyhnalek, Jim Jensen, Monte Vandeveer, or Tim Lemmons will present on these topics and provide common sense tips during the presentation. It is helpful if the tenant and landlord, as well as their spouses, attend together.
This free workshop is sponsored by the Nebraska Soybean Board. Refreshments and handouts are provided. Registration is requested; please contact the host county.
This workshop has been held extensively across Nebraska for the past two years with over 2,600 attending. Both landlords and tenants have said they found the workshop to be helpful in improving communications, setting rental terms, and learning about the use of flex lease provisions. As crop budgets tighten, it is even more important to attend and listen to the latest discussion about leasing issues.
For more information or assistance, please contact Allan Vyhnalek, extension educator, Nebraska Extension in Platte County, at 402-563-4901 or firstname.lastname@example.org.