Gabe Brown to Speak on Increasing Profits While Regenerating Resources - UNL CropWatch, Oct. 2013
October 3, 2013
The Nebraska Grazing Lands Coalition (NGLC) and UNL Extension are hosting Gabe Brown, a noted soil health advocate, on a four-day, eight-stop traveling road show across Nebraska.
Brown is one of the pioneers of the current soil health movement that focuses on regenerating resources. Brown, along with his wife, Shelly, and son, Paul, own and operate a diversified farm and ranch near Bismarck, N.D.
The Browns holistically integrate their grazing and no-till cropping system, which includes multi-species cover crops, with all natural grass fed beef, poultry and sheep. Brown has been an invited speaker across the U.S. and beyond. He was honored with the NRDC's 2012 Growing Green Awards winner in the Food Producer category. For over 15 years, he has merged back-to-basics agrarian practices with innovative science-based sustainable farming techniques. Brown will share topics that include:
- Decreasing inputs while increasing yields
- Livestock: The missed income opportunity
- Producing corn for only $1.42/bushel
- Regenerating soil resources
- Opportunities to bring the next generation into the operation
- Lowering cow wintering costs
Dates, Locations and Contacts
- Nov. 18 – 9:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. (Mountain Time), Cheyenne County 4-H Building, Sidney; contact: Aaron Berger, UNL Extension Educator, Banner, Kimball and Cheyenne counties, 308-235-3122
- Nov. 18 – 5-9 p.m., Nebraska Ag Industry Education Center, Nebraska College of Technical Agriculture, Curtis; contact: Barb Scharf, UNL Extension Educator, Frontier County, 308-367-4424 or 888-367-4424
- Nov. 19 – 10 a.m.-2 p.m., Adams County Fairgrounds, Hastings; contact: Ron Seymour, UNL Extension Educator, Adams County, 402-461-7209
- Nov. 19 – 5-9 p.m., Nemaha County Hospital, Auburn; contact: Gary Lesoing, UNL Extension Educator, Nemaha County, 402-274-4755
- Nov. 20 – 10 a.m.2- p.m., Time Square Event Center, Norfolk; contact: Wayne Ohnesorg, UNL Extension Educator, Madison County, 402-370-4040
- Nov. 20 – 5-9 p.m., Scotia Community Center, Scotia; Contact: Heather DePra, UNL Extension Educator, Central IV counties, 308-728-5071
- Nov. 21 – 10 a.m.-2 p.m., Ainsworth Conference Center, Ainsworth; contact: Dennis Bauer, UNL Extension Educator, Brown, Keya Paha, and Rock counties, 800-634-8951
- Nov. 21 – 5-9 p.m. (Mountain Time), Chadron State College, Student Center, Chadron; contact: Scott Cotton, UNL Extension Educator, Dawes County, 308-432-3373
Cost is $15 which covers the cost of the meal. NGLC will pick up the cost of all student registrations. Participants must preregister by Nov. 11 to reserve a meal by calling the UNL Extension office indicated. Registrations will be taken until full.
For more information, contact Ron Bolze, coordinator, Nebraska Grazing Lands Coalition, 402-321-0067 (cell) or email@example.com.