Corn Rootworm Resistance to Bt Corn In Nebraska
The National Corn Growers Association and The Agricultural Biotechnology Stewardship Technical Committee, a consortium of Bt corn registrants, have developed “Corn Rootworm Best Management Practices.”
They recommend “to effectively manage corn rootworm (CRW), implement a multi-year plan that includes a variety of tactics” including
- crop rotation,
- hybrids with multiple CRW Bt traits, and
- soil-, seed- or foliar-applied insecticides.
They also ask growers to identify rootworm risk levels in their fields by answering these questions:
- Did you plant corn rootworm traits for consecutive years in the same fields?
- Did you notice large populations of corn rootworm beetles?
- Did you observe root injury from corn rootworm larvae?
- Are your fields planted to continuous corn?
Nebraska Extension Entomologist