Corn and Soybean 71% Good To Excellent

Corn and Soybean 71% Good To Excellent

Both Nebraska's corn and soybean crops rated 71% good to excellent in the latest crop report from the USDA National Agricultural Statistics Service, released Monday, Aug. 25.

Topsoil moisture supplies rated 6% very short, 28% short, 64% adequate, and 2% surplus. Subsoil moisture supplies were rated 11% very short, 31% short, 58% adequate, and 0 surplus.

Crop Report

Nebraska corn conditions rated 3% very poor, 6% poor, 20% fair, 51% good, and 20% excellent. Corn dough was 89%, ahead of 80% last year, but near the five-year average of 88%. Corn dented was 44%, well ahead of 26% last year, but near the average of 47%.

Nationally, the crop rated similarly at 73% good to excellent, 20% fair, 5% poor, and 2% very poor. Eighty-three percent of the crop was in dough stage, and 35% had dented.

Soybean conditions rated 2% very poor, 5% poor, 22% fair, 53% good, and 18% excellent. Approximately 95% of the soybeans were setting pods, near  93% last year and the five-year average of 94%.

Nationally, 70% of the soybean crop was rated good to excellent, 23% fair, 5%, poor; and 2% very poor. Ninety percent was setting pods, similar to the five-year average, but ahead of last year's 82%.

Sorghum conditions rated 2% very poor, 5% poor, 33% fair, 41% good, and 19% excellent. Sorghum headed was 97%, ahead of 87% last year and the average of 90%. Sorghum coloring was 49%, well ahead of 7% last year and the average of 17%.

Dry bean conditions rated 3% very poor, 1% poor, 15% fair, 60% good, and 21% excellent. Dry beans blooming was 95%. Dry beans setting pods was 89%, behind 95% last year and 96% average. Dry beans dropping leaves was 4%, equal to last year and near the average of 2%.

Alfalfa hay conditions rated 2% very poor, 7% poor, 32% fair, 48% good, and 11% excellent. Alfalfa hay third cutting was 82% complete, ahead of 76% last year, but near 80% average. Alfalfa hay fourth cutting was 2% complete, equal to last year, but behind 8% average.

Pasture and range conditions rated 6% very poor, 10% poor, 34% fair, 43% good, and 7% excellent.