Wheat Management Field Day June 8 Near Diller
Nebraska Extension in Gage, Jefferson and Saline counties is hosting a wheat management field day Thursday, June 8, 2023, at Wehling Family Farms near Diller, Nebraska. The field day, which runs from 9 a.m. to 11:30 a.m., is sponsored by Nebraska Extension and Wehling Family Farms.
“The field day provides an opportunity for farmers, agronomists and others to learn from each other about locally relevant management for wheat in southeast Nebraska,” said Nathan Mueller, local water and integrated cropping systems extension educator.
The field day agenda is as follows:
- 9 a.m. — Registration and light breakfast (juice and donuts)
- 9:30 a.m. — Introduction and welcome: Kory Wehling and Nathan Mueller
- 9:35 a.m. — Wheat variety strip-trial tour: Eric Johnson with Polansky Seed, and Mark Lubbers with WestBred
- 10 a.m. — Local wheat management considerations: Dr. Nathan Mueller
- 10:15 a.m. — Nitrogen research update: Jose Cesario
- 10:30 a.m. — Wheat diseases and management: Dr. Stephen Wegulo
- 11 a.m. — USDA-NRCS incentives for wheat: Scott Bohaty
- 11:15 a.m. — Nebraska Wheat Board update: Royce Schaneman
- 11:30 a.m. — Closing remarks: Nathan Mueller
The location of the field day is 1/4 mile west of Wehling Family Farms, 70397 581 Ave., Diller NE, 68342 (GPS: 40.030166°, -96.939897°). Driving directions from Diller: Head south on Highway 103 for four miles from Diller. Go one mile south of Hwy 8 on 581st Ave., then turn west on 704th Rd., field site is about ¼ west from the intersection on the south side of the road.
A portable toilet will be available at the location.
Please pre-register (not required, but helpful) to attend to help plan for light breakfast and other resources online or by calling Nebraska Extension in Saline County at 402-821-2151.
Accommodation requests related to a disability should be made by Tuesday, June 6, 2023 to Nathan Mueller, Gage, Jefferson and Saline counties WICS extension educator, or 402-821-1722. The University of Nebraska does not discriminate based upon any protected status. Please see go.unl.edu/nondiscrimination.