Soybean Gall Midge Regional Field Day Set for July 25
Join a multi-state team of extension entomologists for a hands-on opportunity to learn more about soybean gall midge biology, scouting and management. The Soybean Gall Midge Regional Field Day will be from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. July 25, 2023, at the University of Nebraska Eastern Nebraska Research, Extension and Education (ENREEC) near Mead, Nebraska.
This event will emphasize interactive learning about this economic pest through field demonstrations and short presentations. There will be ample opportunities to see the pest and its injury to soybean, and to learn about ongoing research efforts.
What you can expect to see and learn:
- Identify soybean gall midge larvae.
- Recognize plant injury and how to scout in soybean.
- Cultural: Tillage, hilling, date of planting, plant population.
- Host plant resistance screen.
- Chemical: Seed treatments, at-plant, foliar and drop-nozzle.
- Biological: Specimens will be available to see firsthand.
The field day is free, but registration is required. Registration is also limited, so sign up early to ensure you have a spot. The last date to register is Saturday, July 15. Come early for coffee and donuts. Lunch is included.