Wheat Variety Trial Field Tours Across Nebraska in June
The University of Nebraska-Lincoln Crop Performance Testing program will sponsor wheat variety trial field tours in eight locations across Nebraska, from Jefferson County to Banner County, starting Thursday, June 9 through Thursday, June 23.
For those who are unable to attend scheduled in-person events, the plots will be labeled up to a week in advance of the scheduled tour, and the signs will remain until harvest.
Dates, times, locations and directions for the field days:
- June 9, Jefferson County: Knobel Seeds, 6:30 p.m. CDT. Dinner to follow the tour. Directions: From Fairbury, head north on Highway 15 and turn west on 718th Road. After one mile, head north on 567th Avenue, plot is about one-fourth of a mile from the intersection on the west side of the road.
GPS: 40.237072, -97.199371
- June 15, Red Willow County: Peters Seed Farms, 5 p.m. MDT: Tour of winter wheat varieties and spring wheat varieties. Dinner to follow the tour. Directions: From Culbertson, head south on Hwy 17 and turn west on Road 710 (by the Stone Church). Field is on the south side of the road, look for bins on north side of road.
GPS: 40.113713, -100.817437 (Winter Wheat) and 40.1570891, -100.8060723 (Spring Wheat)
- June 20, Gosper County: Troy tenBensel and Todd Whitney, 10 a.m. CDT: New tour and cooperator! Directions: From Arapahoe travel one mile east to Rd 425, then go four miles north on Rd 425 (you will need to go west on Rd 726 (0.2 miles) before making your final turn north again on Rd 425 for the last half-mile). The plot is on the east side of Rd 425 (one mile north into Gosper County).
GPS: 40.359245, -99.877022
- June 21, Perkins County: Stumpf Int’l Wheat Research Center, 10 a.m. MDT: Variety and research tour. Lunch to follow tour. Meet at Stumpf Building/Perkins County Extension.
GPS: 40.843994, -101.69995 (Plot area) and 40.849318, -101.705806 (Extension Building)
- June 21, Deuel County: V&F Farms, 4 p.m. MDT: Directions: From Chappell, head east on Hwy 30 then north on Rd 189. Plot is 5 ¾ miles north on the west side of the road (three-fourths of a mile north of the intersection of Rd 189 and Rd 24).
GPS: 41.174776, -102.247238
- June 22, Cheyenne County: UNL High Plains Ag Lab, 8 a.m. MDT: HPAL Field Day, featuring both winter and spring wheat tours. Lunch to follow tours. Meet at HPAL shop, transportation to plots provided.
GPS: 41.227922, -103.003894 (Shop), 41.233281, -103.000321 (Winter Wheat) and 41.232897, -102.996729 (Spring Wheat)
- June 22, Box Butte County: Cullan Farm Seed, 3:30 p.m. MDT. Tour of irrigated and dryland plots. Dinner to follow tours. Directions: Irrigated Plots: From the intersection of Road 67 and Gage Road, head north. Plot area is south of the pivot access path. Dryland Plots: From Highway 2, turn west on Hall Road, plot is located on south side of the road about a mile from the turn.
GPS: 42.281353, -103.01473 (Irrigated Plots) and 42.248355, -103.018278 (Dryland Plots)
- June 23, Banner County: Jim Wyatt, 9 a.m. MDT: Farmer-led variety showcase, meet at plot area. Donuts and coffee will be offered before the tour.
GPS: 41.56687, -103.728587
Online Master of Science in Agronomy
With a focus on industry applications and research, the online program is designed with maximum flexibility for today's working professionals.