Forage Field Day on Aug. 4 at Haskell Ag Lab
Nebraska Extension and SDSU Extension will host their 2022 Forage Field Day at the University of Nebraska Haskell Ag Lab on Thursday, Aug. 4 from 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. CDT.
“We are excited to partner with SDSU on this field day,” said Ben Beckman, Nebraska Extension beef and forage systems educator. “Forages are a vital crop to both Nebraska and South Dakota, and we look forward to offering producers an opportunity to network and expand their knowledge base through demonstrations and presentations at this field day.”
The Forage Field Day is designed to provide hands-on and classroom learning and networking experience for forage growers in Nebraska, South Dakota and the surrounding areas. The program focuses on many hot topics within the industry and features speakers from both academia and production.
- 10 a.m. — Cover Crops/Alternative Forages: Pete Sexton, associate professor and SDSU Extension sustainable cropping systems specialist, and Brad Rops, SDSU Southeast Research Farm Operations manager
- 11 a.m. — Nitrogen and Forages – Saving Fertilizer Costs: Anthony Bly, SDSU Extension soils field specialist
- Noon — Lunch
- 1 p.m. — Full Season Grazing: Doug Steffen, Producer, Crofton, Nebraska
- 1:30 p.m. — Raising Crops for Grain vs. Silage: Boadwine Farms, Baltic, South Dakota
- 2:20 p.m. — A Silage Harvest Management Overview – From Top to Bottom: Becky Arnold, Lallemand Animal Nutrition
- 3:40 p.m. — Speaker panel discussion
- 4:15 p.m. — Wrap-up and survey
- 4:30 p.m. — Optional research farm tour
Register for the field day by Friday, July 29. Field day registration fee is $30 and CCA credits are available.
Haskell Ag Lab Eastern Nebraska Research & Extension Farm is located at 57905 866 Rd., Concord, NE 68728.
For more information, contact Ben Beckman, assistant extension educator, at (402) 254-6821, or Kiernan Brandt, SDSU Extension cow/calf field specialist, at (605) 882-5140.
Online Master of Science in Agronomy
With a focus on industry applications and research, the online program is designed with maximum flexibility for today's working professionals.