2021 Dry Edible Bean Day Virtual Event Set for Feb. 10
The 2021 Nebraska Dry Edible Bean Day will be a virtual event this February, featuring the Nebraska Dry Bean Growers Association’s annual meeting and updates on bean-related research in Nebraska.
Dry Edible Bean Day is scheduled for 1 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 10, on the Zoom webinar platform. To receive the Zoom address, contact the Nebraska Dry Bean Growers Association at 308-633-1387 or by email.
NDBGA business will include a welcome from NDBGA President Dan Hinman, financial reports, announcement of scholarship winner and board elections. Four positions on the NDBGA board are up for election; additional nominations and voting will be conducted online on Zoom. Growers who are interested in being nominated for these vacancies should contact the NDBGA office at 308-633-1387.
After the NDBGA meeting, 3rd Dist. Rep. Adrian Smith will briefly address the group. Then UNL specialists and educators will present reports on their research programs conducted at the Panhandle Research and Extension Center. They include:
- Interim Director Jeff Bradshaw — welcome
- Dry Bean Breeding Specialist Carlos Urrea — UNL dry bean releases
- Entomologist Jeff Bradshaw — western bean cutworm: update from 2020
- Soil and Nutrient Management Specialist Bijesh Maharjan — optimized nitrogen management for dry bean production
- Water and Irrigation Management Specialist Xin Qiao — irrigation management of dry edible beans
- Integrated Weed Management Specialist Nevin Lawrence — managing Palmer amaranth in dry bean
- Plant Pathologist Bob Harveson — diseases in Nebraska pulse crops
- Extension Educator John Thomas — dry edible bean population and inoculant studies 2020
- Extension Educator Jessica Groskopf — ag economics update
For more information, check the NDBGA Association website.