Stalk Lodging, Cover Crops Among Topics at Fremont Corn Expo Jan 4 December 15, 2017
The 2018 Fremont Corn Expo will take a closer look at key issues for Nebraska corn farmers, including stalk lodging, cover crops, market analysis, the weather outlook for 2018, and new grain bin technology. The event, which also includes commercial exhibits, breakfast, and lunch, will be from 7:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. Jan. 4 at the Christensen Field in Fremont.
Nathan Mueller, extension educator and expo coordinator, said sessions will include:
- Corn Stalk Lodging: What Role Did Stalk and Crown Rot Play? – Tamra Jackson-Ziems, Nebraska Extension Corn Plant Pathologist
- What’s in Store in the 2018 Grain Markets with Darin Newsom, DTN senior analyst
- Cover Crops after Seed Corn (Panel Discussion) with Scott Wagner, seed corn grower/cattleman; Greg Beebe, seed corn company representative; Seth Feala, local custom applicator; Jeremiah Schutz, NRCS conservationist; Jason Strand, precision ag specialist; and Nathan Mueller, agronomist.
- Grain Storage Management and Technology with Ken Hellevang, North Dakota State University Extension agricultural engineer for grain drying, handling and storage
- How Long Will the Impacts of La Nina Last and What Role Will it Play in the 2018 Crop Production? with Al Dutcher, associate state climatologist