Land Application Training in January and February January 12, 2017
Eight Nebraska Extension offices will offer workshops in January and February on how to turn manure nutrients into better crop yields while protecting the environment.
Livestock producers with livestock waste control facility permits received or renewed since April 1998 must be certified. A farm must complete an approved training every five years, and farm personnel responsible for land application of manure are also encouraged to attend. Re-certification will be held during the first two hours of the day-long land application training.
The workshops will help livestock producers put to use the nutrient management planning requirements of Nebraska’s Department of Environmental Quality regulations and increase the economic value of manure,” said Leslie Johnson, UNL Animal Manure Management coordinator. Participants who attend the day-long event will receive NDEQ Land Application Training Certification.
The morning portion of the workshops will consist of a two-hour program including updates on changing regulations and other manure management topics, such as protecting herd health with biosecurity. Any farm staff responsible for implementing the farm’s nutrient plan are encouraged to attend.
Pre-registration is required for all workshops. A $60 fee per operation (includes one representative) will be charged for the workshops plus a $15 fee for each additional participant to cover local costs including lunch.
The re-certification portion of the workshop is $30 for each participant.
These workshops are sponsored by the Nebraska Extension Animal Manure Management Team which is dedicated to helping livestock and crop producers better utilize our states manure resources for agronomic and environmental benefits.
Dates, times and locations include:
- Beatrice: Jan. 26, 9 a.m., Extension office, 1115 West Scott
- Lexington: Jan. 31, 9 a.m., Extension office, 1002 Plum Creek Parkway
- Scottsbluff: Jan. 31, 9 a.m., Extension center, 4502 Ave. I
- O’Neill: Feb. 1, 9 a.m., Extension office, 128 N. 6th St., Suite 100
- West Point: Feb. 1, 9 a.m., Nielsen Center, 200 Anna Stalp Ave.
- York: Feb. 2, 9 a.m., 2345 Extension office, Nebraska Ave.
- Columbus: Feb. 3, 9 a.m., Pinnacle Bank, 210 East 23rd St.
- Concord: Feb. 7, 9 a.m., Haskell Ag Lab, 57905 866 Rd