Field Assessment to Improve Efficiency Workshops Start Dec. 5
Nebraska Extension is hosting a series of free Field to Market workshops to help farmers interested in field sustainability move toward continuous improvement of their operation. The workshops will be held across the state in December and February.
Using the Field to Market Fieldprint® Calculator farmers will enter management and production information which will be used to compare their fields with national, state, and local averages for the metrics of yield, erosion, irrigation efficiency, energy use, and greenhouse gas emissions. Data and production information is confidential.
- quantify several environmental indicators that also affect profit of a field;
- compare production efficiency with peers (all data remaining confidential)
- visualize the production process to identify areas of efficiency and inefficiency; and
- identify opportunities to improve efficiency and sustainability.
This tool can also be used to document sustainability of a given field or farm. It's expected that in the future some grain markets will require such documentation. When Coca Cola, Walmart, and Kellogg are interested in crop production, you know something is up. Why are these big companies interested in how Nebraska farmers grow their crops? Find out about the new world of sustainability metrics and why you will be thinking in terms of carbon equivalents per bushel in the near future.
Participants are encouraged to complete a Fieldprint Calculator Data Sheet in advance to speed up data entry into the tool during the workshop.
Information and Registration
Register for the December workshops by Dec. 1 and for the February workshops by Feb. 21. Register online or by calling the host site at the number listed below.
Workshop Dates & Locations
- Fremont — Monday, Dec. 5, 9 a.m. to noon, Dodge County Extension Office, 1206 W 23rd St. Contact: Nathan Mueller, Nebraska Extension Educator, at email@example.com or 402-727-2775.
- Columbus — Tuesday Dec. 6, 9 a.m. to noon, Farm Credit Services of America, 4865 Monastery Rd. Contact: Allan Vyhnalek, Nebraska Extension Educator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 402-563-4901
- York — Tuesday Dec. 6, 3 p.m. to 6 p.m., York County Extension Office, 2345 Nebraska Ave. Contact: Jenny Rees, Nebraska Extension Educator, at email@example.com or 402-362-5508.
- O'Neill — Wed. Dec. 7, 9 a.m. to Noon, Holt County Courthouse Annex, 128 N. 6th St. Contact: Amy Timmerman, Nebraska Extension Educator, at 402-336-2760 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Pender — Thursday Dec. 8, 9 a.m. to Noon, Pender Fire Hall, 314 Maple St. Contact: John Wilson, Nebraska Extension Educator, at email@example.com or 402-374-2929.
- Oakland — Thursday Dec. 8, 2 p.m. to 5 p.m., Central Valley Ag., 107 W. 2nd St. Contact: John Wilson, Nebraska Extension Educator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 402-374-2929.
- Grand Island — Thursday Feb. 23, 9 a.m. to Noon, Hall County Extension Office, 3180 US-34; 308-385-5088.
- Holdrege — Thursday Feb. 23, 3 p.m. to 6 p.m., Ag Center at Fairgrounds, 1308 2nd St.; 308-995-4222.
- Sidney — Friday Feb. 24, 9 a.m. to Noon (MT), South Platte NRD, 551 Parkland Dr.; 308-254-4455.
- North Platte — Friday Feb. 24, 9 a.m. to Noon, UNL West Central Research and Extension Center, 402 West State Farm Road; 308-532-2683.
- Auburn — Tuesday Feb. 28, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Nemaha County Hospital, 2022 13th St., Classroom 2022; 402-274-4755.
- Beatrice — Tuesday Feb. 28, 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. Gage County Extension Office, 1115 W Scott St.; 402-223-1384.