Cover Crop Forage Field Day Aug. 25 near Boelus
University of Nebraska-Lincoln Extension is hosting a Cover Crop Field Day Aug. 25 to focus on using cover crops to both improve the soil and produce forage. Lease agreements for cover crop grazing also will be addressed.
“The field day will be a great opportunity to learn more about using cover crops to improve soil health as well as how to increase revenue from acres by utilizing cover crops as a forage source,” said Mary Drewnoski, UNL beef systems specialist.
The event will be from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Aug. 25, starting at the Boelus Civic Center, 604 Delaware Street in Boelus. It begins with a series of presentations, followed by lunch and a field tour at the Greg Rasmussen farm site one-quarter mile east of the intersection of 484 Ave and 781 Road. (Map at https://goo.gl/maps/YcZeSXMVYrz.) Participants will hear from producers and view various cover crops planted after small grain harvest. A soil pit will also be available for viewing.
UNL experts and soil health specialists from the Natural Resources and Conservation Service, the event sponsor, will be available to answer questions on soil health and incorporating cover crops into existing systems.
Topics and speakers include:
- Incorporating Cover Crops into Rotations: Impacts on Soil — Aaron Hird, NRCS soil health specialist
- Results from the Field: Impacts of Cover Crops on Soil Microbial Populations — Linda Schott, UNL extension assistant
- Species Selection Based on Planting Date and Goals — Daren Redfearn, UNL forage specialist
- Cattle Performance and Nutritional Considerations — Mary Drewnoski, UNL beef systems specialist
- Developing Lease Agreements for Cover Crop Grazing — Jay Parsons, UNL ag systems economist
- Producer Perspectives — Greg Rasmussen, Boelus farmer, and others
- What Happens Underground — Paul Jasa, UNL Extension Engineer
Lunch is free but those planning to attend will need to preregister by Aug. 18. RSVP by calling Nebraska Extension in Custer County at 308-872-6831 or email Extension Educator Troy Walz at email@example.com.