2015 Wheat Tours
UNL Wheat Variety Tours Scheduled for June
University of Nebraska winter wheat plot tours June 23 ad 24 in the Panhandle will give producers an opportunity to learn more about new wheat varieties and other topics relevant to producers in western Nebraska. Plots are located in Kimball, Cheyenne and Box Butte counties.
"We appreciate the generosity of the following co-operative wheat growers," said Dipak Santra, alternative crops breeding specialist at the UNL Panhandle Researchand Extension Center. "Thank you for letting us test the wheat varieties on your farms: Mark Halstead (Kimball County), Darby Jesperson (Box Butte County), Chris Cullan (Box Butte County), Gill Nitsch (Daws County) and Marti Hubbs (Goshen Co, Wyoming). For more information on the Panhandle tours call Dipak Santra at 308-632-1244 or Vernon Florke at 308-249-3161.
West Central and Southeast Tours
On June 23, as part of the West Central Crops and Water Field Day, there will be a tour of the wheat variety trials planted at the Henry J. Stumpf International Wheat Center near Grant. Speakers will include UNL and private wheat breeders and wheat specialists.
In southeast Nebraska wheat variety tours will be held June 11 at the UNL Agricultural Research and Development Center fields near Mead and on June 18 in Saline County.
- June 11, 6:30 p.m., Saunders County: UNL Agricultural Research and Development Center, site is 1/2 mile west of County Roads 6 & H.
- June 18, 6:30 p.m., Saline County, Steve Wiese, cooperator: From Wilber at the Intersection of Hwy 41 and Hwy 103, travel north on Hwy 103 to County Road J (5 miles north of Wilber), then 3/4 mile east, on the north side of the road. From Crete at the Intersection of Hwy 33 and Hwy 103 (on the west side of Crete), travel south on Hwy 103, 4 miles to County Road J, then 3/4 mile west, on the north side of the road. GPS coordinates: 40.567533, -96.976641 (Tour flyer)
- June 23, Grant: Henry J. Stumpf International Wheat Research Center near Grant (See details and directions.) Held as part of the West Central Crops and Water Field Day.
- June 23, 6 p.m., Kimball County (Rainfed): From Dix, go south on County Rd. 59 for 6 miles. Plot is on the east side of road on Mark Halstead's farm.
- June 24, 9 a.m., Cheyenne County at High Plains Ag Lab (Rainfed): From HPAL office, drive 0.5 miles east on Cr. Rd. 32N, then north .25 miles on trial road. Plot is on the field 26.
- June 24, 3 p.m., Box Butte County (Irrigated): From Hemingford, drive north on county Rd. 70 for 1 mile. Plot is on east side of road on Darby Jesperson's farm.
June 24, 5 p.m., Box Butte County (Rainfed): From Hemingford, drive about 5.5 miles south on Highway 2, then about 0.75 miles west on Hall Rd. It is on Chris Cullan's farm.