Dry Bean Growers Event Feb. 7 in Gering
Dry Bean Growers Event Feb. 7 in Gering January 26, 2017
Nebraska’s Bean Day will feature research updates from University of Nebraska-Lincoln faculty and reports from the national and Nebraska dry bean producer groups. The event will be February 7 at the Gering Civic Center in Gering, beginning with registration at 12:30 p.m., the Nebraska Dry Bean Grower’s Association Annual Meeting from 1 to 1:30, and research and program updates afterward.
Topics and presenters from Nebraska Extension include:
- Direct Harvest On-Farm Research Update – John Thomas, educator
- Soil and Nutrient Management for Dry Bean Production – Bijesh Maharjan, soil and nutrient management specialist
- Using Insects to Add Value and Save on Input Costs in Dry Beans – Jeff Bradshaw, entomologist
- Weed Control in Dry Beans – Nevin Lawrence, integrated weed management specialist
- A Brief History of Dry Bean Production in the US and Nebraska – Bob Harveson, plant pathologist
- UNL Dry Bean Breeding Program Update – Carlos Urrea, dry bean breeder
Also speaking will be Rebecca Bratter, executive director of the US Dry Bean Council, and representatives of the Nebraska Dry Bean Commission.
The event will culminate in a social hour.