February 7, 2014
CropWatch February 7, 2014
February 7, 2014
- With Tight Margins Expected, It's Time to Tighten up Your Belt (Again). See how farm costs have increased since 2005 and learn what you can do now to control your costs for 2014.
- 2014 Crop Budgets Reflect Changes in Input, Land, Machinery Prices. The 2014 Nebraska Crop Budgets have been expanded from previous editions and are now available in both a printer-friendly PDF format and in customizable Excel spreadsheets.
- Panhandle Crop Report. Market reports for wheat, corn, beans, and hay
- How Did 2013 Corn Yields Fare in Nebraska? UNL researcher compares actual yields with one-year and multi-year yields simulated by Hybrid-Maize for 9 sites across Nebraska.
- How Late can you Seed Winter Wheat and Still Produce Grain? Research in Kansas shows response to various seeding dates and the CW authors offer recommendations for late seeding in Nebraska.
- Winter Wheat: Where We Stand. With this winter's cold temperatures and high winds, what's the status of the state's winter wheat crop?
- Winter Wheat Reports from Extension Educators
- Winter Wheat Injury and Cold Temperatures. Steps to determining winter wheat injury and survival and how to make a preliminary yield estimate of damaged fields.
- NDA Reminder on Use of Herbicides with Both Atrazine and Acetochlor. Any herbicide containing both acetochlor and atrazine must follow the stricter atrazine setback restrictions.
- Dicamba-Resistant Kochia Confirmed in Nebraska. UNL researchers conducting dicamba response trials found resistance at a surprisingly high level in at least one population. What can you do to manage resistance development?
- Feb. 20 Webinar: Corn Rootworm Management in the Transgenic Era. Learn about the biology and behavior of rootworms and current management options during this free webinar.
Extension Programs & Events
- Nebraska No-till Conferences Feb. 11, Feb. 13 to cover multiple angles of using and improving no-till production systems.
- High Plains Ag Lab Annual Research Update is Feb. 13. Learn about timely crop and livestock research.
- Center Pivot Irrigation Management Short Courses at 3 Sites Feb. 11-13. Learn how to get the most from your irrigation in these advanced irrigation management classes.
- Cover Crop Forums to be held at 9 Nebraska Sites Feb. 18. Join growers to discuss local cover crop topics and view national presentations on cover crops and soil health.
- Precision Ag Featured at Nebraska Ag Technology Conference Feb. 5-6. Get more value from your precision ag technologies with "how-to" information from industry and UNL experts at the Nebraska Agricultural Technology Association (NEATA) Conference Feb. 5-6 in Grand Island.
- Land Application [of Manure] Training.
- Women in Agriculture Conference Looks at Critical Role of Women on the Farm, Celebrates Extension's 100th Anniversary. Register now for the Feb. 20-21 conference in Kearney.
- Cornhusker Economics Outlook Meetings March 3-7 at 9 Sites
- Travel with the Market Journal crew to Brazil and Argentina over the next few episodes to see how their soybean production is booming. View segments in theCW article or on the Market Journal channel on YouTube.
- 2014 Spring Seed Guide with variety trial results and grower information for corn, soybeans, sunflower, pea, and proso millet.
- 2014 Guide for Weed Management in Nebraska with Insecticide and Fungicide Information. Purchase print or downloadable guides ($10) at Marketplace.unl.edu or access individual sections free.