UNL CropWatch December 2014
Dec. 19, 2014
- Congress Extends Ag Tax Provisions to Dec. 31, including enhanced levels of Section 179 expense election and bonus depreciation. See what qualifies in each category.
- Video Guide to modifying 2015 UNL Crop Budgets to customize results for your farm. See story and links to budget and video here.
- Updating Price Benchmarks. A UNL ag economist discusses the importance of looking forward to the next year and updating price benchmarks.
- Panhandle Weed Scientist Bob Wilson Retires. Wilson reflects on 4 decades of advances in weed management strategies, from new chemicals to a more balanced, integrated approach.
- Weed and Insect Resistance a Growing Problem
- Register Now for Pest Resistance Workshops
Dry Edible Beans
- 2014 Variety Trial Data Now Available from work at the Panhandle Research and Extension Center.
- View segments on the cattle and grain markets, improving soybean yields, crop insurance selection, the forecast for next week
Extension Crops Programs
- Fremont Corn Expo Jan. 8: Strategies to Stay Competitive featuring topics identified by corn growers as important to their farming operations. Keynote speaker will be Ruth MacDonald, an ISU nutrition researcher, who will speak on "Fact and Fiction about GMO in Food."
- Reminder: Register now for January Crop Production Clinics
- Animal Scientist to Discuss Genetically Modified Animals at Heuermann Lecture Jan. 13. Nationally renowned animal scientist Alison Van Eeuennaam to address "Genetically Modified Animals: The Facts, the Fear Mongering, and the Future."
- Farm Bill Computer Decision Aid Workshop Jan. 14. Hands-on training for farm managers, bankers, insurance agents, farmers, and landlords on how to use and interpret results from the Texas A&M Computer Decision Aid.
- Nebraska Extension Commercial/Noncommercial Pesticide Safety Program Begins in January
- Private Pesticide Safety Training Offered from UNL Extension
- Register Now for Weed and Insect Resistance Workshops on management, mode of action, and how to use the Site of Action Numbering System to reduce the potential for weed resistance in Nebraska.
- Center Pivot Irrigation Management Short Course Feb. 9: Enhancing the value of water through advanced irrigation management.
- Central Plains Irrigation Conference Feb. 17-18
Panhandle Research and Extension Center
- New Forage Specialist to Join Scottsbluff Faculty, focusing on research and extension programs on sustainable rangeland management, integration of annual and perennial forage crops, ecological implications of grazing, and sustainable livestock production on rangelands.