August 3, 2012 - Index of Stories
UNL CropWatch August 3, 2012 - Index of Stories
With continued triple-digit temperatures and little rain, 83% of the state was reported in extreme or exceptional drought, up from 64% last week. (See DroughtResources.unl.edu)
Dryland and Irrigated Corn Suffer
From looking at predicted dryland and irrigated corn yields to determining whether to harvest standing crop residue, this week's stories look at a range of crop production issues and pests.
August 3, 2012
- Drought and Residue Harvest through Grazing or Baling. How to assess the pros and cons of harvesting crop residue.
- Tips for Grazing Drought-Stressed Standing Corn. How to help your cows successfully and safely transition to grazing standing cornstalks.
- Utilization of Weather-Stressed Feedstuffs in Swine Diets
- NRCS Offers Initiative to Aid Drought Recovery. Nebraska farmers and ranchers affected by this year's drought can apply August 6-15 for assistance through the new NRS Drought Relief Special Initiative.
- New Extension Publications: Harvesting Crop Residue (G1846) and Baling Corn Residue (EC711) Publication and Spreadsheet
- See DroughtResources.unl.edu for home, farm and ranch information related to the drought.
- Also see CropWatch Drought page
- Reminder: Nebraska Hay and Forage Hotline
- 2012 Corn Yield Potential Forecast As of July 30 Based on Hybrid-Maize Model Simulations. Latest data show irrigated yields to take a hit too as some irrigation systems can't keep up with crop water needs in drought.
- If Temperatures Return to Normal, Soybean Aphid Populations Could Surge. Soybean aphids are being reported in northeast Nebraska. if conditions improve, fields "seeded" with a few aphids could quickly see populations at threshold levels.
- 10 Tips for Managing Soybean Aphids
Crop Condition & Reports
- Field Updates and Photos from Extension
- Nebraska Farm Real Estate Value and Cropland Rent Up from Last Year
Extension Programs & Resources
- Aug. 3 Market Journal Looks at Volatility in Grain Markets
- Webinar Aug. 7 on Harvesting and Utilizing Drought-Stressed Crops for Forage
- Nebraska Soybean Management Field Days Aug. 14-17 at 4 Locations
- Diversified Agriculture Farm Tour Aug. 18 in Butler County
- UNL Gudmundsen Sandhills Laboratory Open House Aug. 22
Extension Beef Specialist Rick Rasby (right) talks with Market Journal host Jeff Wilkerson about the drought's impact on pastures on this week's Market Journal.