July 10, 2015
July 10, 2015
- Conditions Favorable for Early to Mid Season Soybean Diseases, includes video with Plant Pathologist Loren Giesler showing what to look for in the field.
- Northern Corn Leaf Blight Continues as Gray Leaf Spot Starts Up. See how to assess need for and timing of fungicide application.
- Scout for Emerging Western Corn Rootworm Beetles
- Post-Harvest Weed Control in Winter Wheat
- Control Volunteer Wheat in Wheat Now to Protect 2016 Yields, Income. Break the green bridge between volunteer and new wheat to control mites and the viruses they transmit.
- Scout Field Borders for Grasshoppers. Control is easier when they're still contained in borders and more successful when they're still young.
- Replacing Thinning Alfalfa Stands. After some tough weather years, alfalfa may warrant a thorough check-up and possible replanting.
- Nebraska Ag Climate Update. Check maps and precip and temperature data for June and forecasts of what lies ahead in the next few weeks. The next El Nino is coming.
- 2015 Nebraska Cropland Rental Rates Declined, on average, 5-10%. See results for irrigated and dryland cropland by district.
- Reminder: Landlord/Tenant Lease Workshops Across Nebraska starting Aug. 10. Attending together will be helpful.
- Extension Crop Reports from south central and east central Nebraska
- Market Journal July 10: Insects to watch for, Enlist herbicide, Grain market update, and forage quality
- Soil Moisture Update. While conditions are drying, most Nebraska soil moisture indices are still on the plus side.
- NASS: 65% of Wheat Mature; 18% Harvested. Corn condition was reported as 72% good to excellent; soybeans, 69% good to excellent.
- Wheat Harvest Predicted to Drop 23% from 2014
IANR & Extension Programs
- Deadline for 2015 Youth Crop Scouting Contest Extended to July 22. Mentor a youth team and help grow tomorrow's farmers. Over $1000 in cash prizes.
- Reminder: Registrations Still Open for Precision Ag Crop Clinic this Tuesday, July 14, and Mid-Summer Crop Diagnostic Clinic Wednesday, July 15, at UNL ARDC. August clinics on Soils and Late-Season Crop Diagnostics.
- Reminder: Managing Herbicide-Resistant Palmer Amaranth Field Day Aug. 4 at Clay Center. See program flyer and preregister now.
- 2015 Nebraska Grazing Conference Aug. 11-12