General Soil Activities for the classroom
- Need to test for specific soil health tests?
Visit the Soil Testing Lesson Plans, Videos & Curriculum UPDATED
- Soil is NOT Dirt!
- The Nebraska Soil Health Card allows you to assess current soil quality conditions, record changes in soil quality, and compare fields and management practices. Cover crops can play a key role in soil health.
- Need something interactive for youth to do while learning about soils? Check this site out!
- What is soil and why is soil important? Teach elementary students the basics of soils with this lesson!
Presentations from the 2013 Soils ConferenceResources are geared to provide teachers soil science resources to conduct hands-on activities in the classroom. University Nebraska-Lincoln Extension, NRCS & the Nebraska FFA Foundation collaborated on this effort with financial support from the Nebraska Environmental Trust. NRCS has developed Soil Quality Kit Guides, Fact Sheets & Materials for teachers to implement into their soils curriculum.
Need to freshen up a past soils lesson?
There are many websites with helpful information to enhance your lessons.
- Soil Management – CropWatch
- NRCS Publications
- Nebraska Environmental Trust
- Precision Agriculture – CropWatch
- Conducting soil quality assessments
- Grants available for teachers
- Soil Science Society of America